Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Profile problems 2K HELP! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyKeyers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
NL
We use Roaming profiles on a Win2k Active directory with about 60 workstations, 3 DC's, and a few member servers.

1. The saving of a profile takes about 70 seconds. Is this normal or is there something I can do to speed things up.

2. This morning people were unable to logon. The error message displayed that de profile was damaged due to hardware or network problems.

When I delete a profile from the server, the user is able to logon, logoff then logon again..
But when the user tries to logoff a second time an error like this: &quot;Failed to save all data for file \Device\Lanman redirector\<fileserver>\<share>\<profile>\prf461.tmp This error can be caused by a computer-hardware or network failure. Try to save the file elsewhere&quot;

From that moment the profile can not be loaded anymore because it is 'damaged'.

Anyone any idea what may be the cause of this?

The Second problem is solved...
My collegue sysop had reconfigured a NIC on the fileserver the wrong way.
The NIC was running, but at such a low speed that copying of a 10 MB file took 40 minutes to complete...
But that's solved now...

The NIC is now running again @ 1000 Mbit/FD.

HOWEVER:

The loading of a profile goes fast: in about 2 seconds.

But saving a profile still takes 70 seconds(!!!) to complete.

We have a Cisco Catalyst 4006 backbone switch, which is 0,7% utilized.

The fileserver is also practically doing nothing all day.
So it can't be a hardware problem.

Note: if I delete a profile, and the profile is regenerated, the saving of the profile goes within 6 seconds.

Second time I want to save the profile it takes 70 seconds again.

Is this an known problem and is there a solotion for this problem?

How big are the profiles? Also were they previously Windows NT profiles or native 2000 profiles?

We used to have a lot of problems with things like temporary Internet files being held by default in Windows NT profiles (not the case in 2000). It areas such as these that change frequently you need to watch out for, large static files won't get downloaded/uploaded each time just the files that are changing. Another culprit is users creating archive .PST files (Outlook) in their profile. Even though they may only add a single email to the PST the file itself is one big file and so will be transferred in it's entirety.

The largest profile I can find is 3 MB.

We've started with fresh Win2K profiles, on a fresh Win2K AD

The strange thing about it all, is that loading a profile takes at most 3 to 6 seconds...

It's just the saving of the profile that takes so long.

It does save the profiles, so I don't think that it's a security rights problem.. but don't know what it is either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back