Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 printer share issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texkonc

MIS
Aug 13, 2007
US
I got two situations that are getting the best of me.

The printer is shared on a XP machine and the connecting machines are Vista home and Win2000. Everything was setup and working perfectly fine during the Holiday when we added the Vista machine there. The Printer shared on XP has the appropriate permissions set on the share. The two connecting machines are setup as users on the hosting machine. I got a call earlier this week saying they were not working. I reset the PW's on the host machine accordingly and the 2000 machine started printing right away. but i had to reinstall the printer on Vista to get it to work. The user on vista is a standard user.

Got a call tonight that the Vista machine is not working again. But the 2000 is still printing fine. Why would the Vista machine stop printing twice in one week?

The other is as follows:
An old school HP Laser Jet 5 installed on one, the local user is a admin. It is set to share with the permision for "everyone" to print only and the local admin to have FC. I made the user account for the connecting machine on the host machine and set the pw that is currently used. On the remote computer I did the add printer wizard and told it to find the network printer, got it mapped and installed the drivers. It asked me for credientals to connect to the host machine and I entered the one that I set on the machine which is the same as the remote commputer uses locally.

Checking the event viewer on the host machine it had an error like.
"The document owned by "remote pc" failed to print. The file was submitted on xxxx. File name xxxx. File Size xxxx. Pages xxxx.

See this paragraph in the first article "Accessing a Shared Printer"

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Windows Vista: Networking

This will look at the print spooler and driver problems

Stopping of the Print Spooler
thread779-686557

The linked article talks about incorrect Permissions at this location. Wouldn't hurt to look at the whole Spool folder too in case there is a problem there.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

You may receive an error message when you try to print a document to a network shared printer from a computer that is running Windows 2000

Access Code" Error Message Printing to Networked Printer

Resources for troubleshooting printing problems in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP

This happened to me but on XP. Check the powersave options on vista. Check that it doesn't switch off the network card.

but they access the internet fine and do their work in terminal, just cant print. I dont see how the powersave would be a problem then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back