Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Print Icons - office suite only complete removal and reinstall works

Status
Not open for further replies.

drphat

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
US
This only happens on one computer in my office, i suspect the luser is an idiot and is screwing things up, but there has to be some key in the registry i can tweak to get rid of this problem.....thank you in advance for any help

2 print Icons in which program? word? excel? which version of office, there are like a billion. I assume you mean on a toolbar, in which case you can right click on the toolbar and goto customize at the bottom

You would think so. Won't let me customize, greyed out.

- Version is Office 2000
- It shows up in Word and Excel

I assume you're talking about two printer icons on the toolbar in Word, Excel etc. One explanation could be that the user is loading a custom template on startup, in which the toolbar has been messed about to include a stray printer icon.

When the user is logged in, launch Word and if you see the two printers, click on the "Tools" menu, then "Templates and Add-Ins", and look in "Global Templates and Add-Ins" - if there's anything other than NORMAL.DOT loaded, your problem may lie therein. Your options then are: change the Startup location (in "Tools/Options/File Locations") so Word doesn't load up the offending template; delete said template; or edit it so that it doesn't load an extra print icon.

In Excel, look in the XLSTART folder and see whether anything weird's being loaded on startup.

Yup, did that. I even deleted the normal.dot....still no go....checked the xlstart...nothing screwy....real pisser ay?

One other thing you could try: clear out every instance of Word and Excel docs or templates from the C:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW folder (it's a hidden object, so you might have to unhide it first). One of our departments which runs NT profiles on Win 9x machines recently had a problem with all their fonts, which turned out to emanate from a badly set up WINWORD.DOC in ShellNew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back