Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 PC's, One Network, Same Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilgni

Instructor
Feb 21, 2002
US
I have two pcs on the same network, and I would like to be able to share all of the email and capablities of outlook with both.

There is a PST file that it would seem to me I could adapt both PC's to and have the same exact files, but HOW?

I am not concerned if one is temporarily ahead of the other, but I would like to be able to sit at either terminal and open Outlook to the same email accounts and inbox.

From searching [breifly] here it appears that there is a synchronization feature in Outlook, but it appears to be geared toward pocket pc's and the like.

Thanks for your help,
Sky Chief

Only if you are using an Exchange server could you do this. You can not share a personal folder with two Outlook clients trying to access the same PST file at the same time.

May be what you can do is instead get a remote control tools such as VNC (free), dameware (not free) or PC Anywhere (not free) to remote from one PC to another instead.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thank you, I will look into your suggestions.

JerseyBoy
Remember: self-praise is no recommendation

If you are using Exchage Server, keep the .pst file server-based.

from Joegz
"You can not share a personal folder with two Outlook clients trying to access the same PST file at the same time."

Not quite true. With our Outlook .pst's server based, the administrator profile CAN log into Oulook from multiple pc's at the same time. What we change in one is automatically updated in the other. Haven't taken the time to locate the permission(s) required for the non-administrators to have the same functionality.

*Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Define what you mean by server based .pst files?

I have yet to see an environment where a PST file is kept on a network resource (NT server or 2000 server)and where two outlook clients can access a PST file at the same time.

So I am real curious to learn what you are describing.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

You can set your email accounts to leave the mail on the server for both outlooks. Then both will get all the mail and you will have duplicate Inboxes. Of course, Outboxes and Contacts, etc will vary. You can't share pst files that I know of.

I use $US35 RAdmin to monitor and control remote PC's. It works between PCs on a LAN and also through the internet - I can view and control my home PC from work and the other way.

Have you tried using nett folders?

I've gotten this to work on a peer network, using the exact same versions of outlook on both PCs.

This link will show you the basics of net folders.

CAVEAT(s): This has only worked for me a few times. On other occasions, it has failed. Your results may vary, but it seems to fit the bill on the surface. Also, changes to folders take a little time to show up/synchronize. Worth a try, as its easy to set up/remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back