Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 pc's - 1 monitor. How to not have to move monitor cable constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammy

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
GB
I have a small home network (ie 2 pc's) and have only one monitor. I believe there is a way to access all the second computers functions in a window without having to unplug and move the monitor cable. I was told that this involved service pack 1 which i have downloaded and installed. I now do not know what to do and would appreciate any advice. Also i am trying to get my second PC to boot without a keyboard plugged in but I cannot find anything to change in the setup screen before boot. I have a Compaq Deskpro as my second PC and if anyone knows how to do this I will be a happy man.

Cheers

Cam

Spend the money for a KVM switch. Allows you to switch back and forth and allows booting with a built in response to the keyboard request from the BIOS. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I 2nd that - KVM's are great :) I've got a black box one for my 2 PC's & one laptop - saves desk space only having 1 monitor, keyboard & mouse. One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

I'd also recommend getting one of these, but if you're using PS2, be careful!
If you pull the mouse or keyboard out because its not working properly on one computer, it'll screw it up on the other...
When unplugging the keyboard or mouse, its a good idea to switch off both computers before doing so...

I'd recommend the Adderview GEM series...I've had no problems with the 4-port one I've got, (I've had it about 6 months), and an excellent feature on it (dunno if they have it on others), is you can press+hold the wheely button on your mouse and use your right and left buttons to cycle between computers. This way you can also move the KVM switch out of the way giving you more room...

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back