Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 pc's / 1 BT usb modem / host working / client not

Status
Not open for further replies.

pichunter

Technical User
Jul 1, 2004
GB
Hi

Looking for advice on solving the issue of no viewable webpages on 2nd/client PC.

All is fine on the host machine.

The 2nd machine gets an internet connection, or appears to - it states that it's connected but that's where it ends

File sharing and printer sharing ok.

I know you'll need more info.

Thanks

pichunter

Indeed, more info is required. You state that your modem is a USB modem...how are you handling the connection from the modem to the second pc? ICS? Is there a LAN port at all on your DSL modem? Let us know and we can help you out. Thanks.

-jbotz

ICS is correct.
No LAN on the modem.

I know this is not the best set up.
If it involves anything major I will buy other equipment.

Thanks

Okay. Let's delve a little deeper. When you are attempting to browse, what happens? I'm guessing that you get a 404 - Page not Found, or an Internet Explorer could not open the search page error, so I'll run with that. Try dropping to a command prompt (normally available under the accessories menu) and pinging a hostname, such as It should come back and say it's pinging and then have an IP address in brackets (in this case 209.123.109.175). If you are able to get that far, that scratches DNS. If not, then we need to look at your network config. Let me know, and I'll be glad to go further with you.

-jbotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back