Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 OS at a time, Win98 & XP - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenzcuvasch

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
MY
Im runnign WinXP Pro at this time but there are few softwares that failed to run and only run on Win98.

So izzit possible to me to install Win98 to my other partition?

If yes, how am i suppose to do it?

If you want to dual boot, you can, but you need to have 98 installed first, and a separate partition for XP.
I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided.

I have lots of imortant stuffs in my WinXP now. Is there any other way? - except using VirtualPC

Okay, if theres none, can u tell me step by step from after I format my disc c:(winxp) and d:(win98)

thanks

Do you already have two partitions?
It seems as though you do.
You will have to boot to a boot disk...install windows 98 on c:
Then install XP on the second partition.....tell it NO when it asks you if you want to upgrade.

Enough info?

I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided.

Okay then.

When installing XP, must it be done from windows 98 or DOS?

Then, after installing XP, what will happen when I reboot my computer? Will I have a selection which OS I wanna use?

Thanks....really appreciate your help

If you already have the two partitions, you can go ahead and install Win98 onto the second partition, but when 98 is installed you'll have to edit the boot.ini file. Open the boot.ini file and edit it by adding the following line to the bottom if it's not already there:
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
Now change the timing to how long(in secs.) you wish, this sets how long you will get to make a choice of which OS to boot at start up. The default is: timeout=30.

Oh you mean u can just install win98 without unisntalling my XP? or i just misunderstood. I wish i could do that

excellent link mintaka! [thumbsup2]

Lenzcuvasch,

If you go to the link above, it outlines exactly what you need to do. Just make sure you're partition for Win98 is FAT32 not NTFS.

They make kits that allow you to switch between two hard drives by using a power switch. I think the idea is to powerdown the system, turn the switch and start back up using the other hard drive. The problem would be sharing information. You would have to look for peripheral accessories to a computer. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Well thanks guys,

But ive done it the normal way instead of installing Win98 at the last.

Few problems occured though on the way. I was forced to reinstall Win98 for the second time after installing winxp. A message telling "Drive not ready - system halted" after I chose Win98 on the OS Menu.

AFter reinstalling everythings okay. But what caused the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back