Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 NIC's with the same MAC address!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorfun

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
GB
I have noticed from the output of a ifconfig -a command that both my hme0 and qfe0 network cards have the same MAC address (that of hme0) but when i check the output of dmesg i can see that the hme0 and qfe0 NIC's have different MAC addresses. Does anyone have any idea why this would be and how to fix it?

The Server MAC address is set by default to the MAC address on the standard interface card. The machine then takes this address as the default.
This can be changed (I think ) probably through ifconfig.
You would have to change it (for the second card ) to the correct MAC address shown on the second interface card.

Thanks Mike, fortunately is isn't an issue any more but it's always good to have the knowledge! ;-)

Sun work in mysterious ways - the MAC address is held in NVRAM on the workstation/server 'motherboard'.

This means that all NIC's have the same MAC address - not usually a problem as the cards would normally connect to seperate networks.

The MAC address can be altered however to suit.

Cheers.
Dave Vickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back