Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 nic cards to vpn? please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieNewbie

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
US
hi there;

i am just beginning to look into RAS and VPN...
i keep seeing that i have to have 2 nic's in a machine if i want it to act as a vpn server. Why?

does a nic and a modem qualify as 2 nic's?

an explanation in 'laymans' terms would be excellent. thanks

HELLLLLLOOOOO!
thought this would be an easy one for all you 'wizards' out there...

They're saying you have to have 2 nics because of the object of VPN'ing is to get access to the LAN. So therefore you need 1 network card that is on the external side and then the internal network card for the LAN side.. As for the Modem and the NIC that should work. Basically in the end you need something with an external address, and something with an internal address..

Hope this helps

BuckWeet

I have been able to set up a Win2K VPN server behind a Linksys router with just one network card.

Could you please post on how u managed to only use on NIC card on Win2K server?
I want to setup VPN on my home network which is also behind a linksys firewall and is Win2k server. Thx.

Could you please post on how u managed to only use one NIC card on Win2K server?
I want to setup VPN on my home network which is also behind a linksys firewall and is Win2k server. Thx.

I have setup a test sever at my home too using only one nic card but you are not able to see other resources on the network only the local resources on that machine.

I've setup a W2K VPN server with 1 NIC behind a NETGEAR DG814 router, and it almost works.

On the router I set up port forwarding for port 1723 to point to my VPN server.

I created a new Incoming Connection in My Network Places, and followed the wizard through. That was basically it.

Unfortunately I think my router has a problem with IP Protocol 47 which VPN relies on so I get as far a Verifying UserName and Password, and thats it. Eventually an error comes up with Error 721, the remote server has a problem with PPP.

Using NETMON, I can see all the TCP packets coming in through PORT 1723 and my VPN server reply's fine, but the client then starts sending IP packets on Protocol 47 and they never get to my server.

If I set up a VPN connection on the LAN, it works perfectly.

If I plug my ASDL USB modem into the server and connect that way it works fine aswell.

Any idea's anyone,

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back