Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Networks - One Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhearn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
CA
I have a customer who has 2 seperate networks, and he
would like to buy a one printer to handle both networks, without causing any security issues. Can this be done?

Thanks....

What networks OSes is the customer running?

I have printers shared between Netware, Unix and Win2k networks. This combo was staight forward and is secure, at least from Netware which is my most critical system.

HTH.

since you mentioned security issues, are the networks colocated but logically separated (differant lan)? If so, you could install a bridge using managed switch and create VLAN to put printer on then give both lans access to the third lan configuration. Other option is to install router in first lan and restrict traffic from 2d to printer.

If the networks are in the same location, AND it is an HP printer that supports two jet direct cards you could put one in for each LAN and configure it that way. It would have to be something like a Laserjet 4300N, etc.

We have done this in the past by setting up a *BSD or Linux box with two NIC's that are not routable, then use port forwarding on port 515 for lpr/lpd on both NIC's.

from your client box use the IP address of the new box as the ip address of the printer. when a job is sent to the new box it will be forwarded to the printer.

secure, safe, and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back