Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 mice in Windows computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSBrando

MIS
Mar 26, 2004
US
Is it possible to have 2 mice on one Windows computer. Either Windows 2000 or XP. This is basically to have a left handed mouse and a right handed mouse for different users that are using the computer. These users are not going to be logging in with different profiles.

It seems like it might almost be easier for the user to simply change the configuration of the mouse for whatever hand and then just move it on the other side of the monitor. I'm only thinking this because if there is a way, one would have to be a default. So the steps it takes to change the default would probably equal simply changing the configuration.

But I guess I have to first find out if this can be done.

Has anybody know how to do this??

Thanks.

I'd recommend A Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. Because it is wireless, it is simple to move from one side of the keyboard to the other.

When the Intellimouse Software is installed, it places a Shortcut to Mouse Properties on the Desktop. Simply double-clicking the shortcut will open the dialog to the Buttons tab where the Left and Right button operations can be easily reversed.

There are other mice in the range but they tend to be a bit biased towards right-handed users: the Wireless Optical mouse is almost symmetrical.

Regards: tf1

Yes, it can be done. I am using two mice and a stylus on my system. The normal mouse connects through the normal mouse port on the back of the machine. The second mouse and the stylus are part of a graphics tablet that connect to their own driver via USB. All three can coexist and control the mouse functions.

My guess is that, at a minimum, a USB mouse could coexist with a mouse on the traditional mouse port. I think that two, separate drivers would be invoked for the two mice.

Yes, Kiddpete is correct. If you plug a PS2 mouse & a USB mouse into the same PC both will work simultaneously. This even works if the PS2 mouse is connected via a KVM switch.

Thanks for all of the advice, its good to know.

The wireless mouse sounds like a good idea for the client though. I think I might move with that idea.

But at least there is an alternative if that is not satisfactory.

Thanks again to all who responded.

How about getting your lefthanded user used to using a mouse with the righthanded button configuration. I'm lefthanded and never have to worry about reconfiguring the computer i'm using as i still use the left button as my primary. It doesn't take long to become natural.. ;-)

Get one of the wireless models that recharges the battery when you put it back in it's cradle if you want the least amount of hassle.
This may prevent the monthly phone call that the mouse isn't working right, and your auto-response of "have you changed the battery?"

You will never satisfy eveyone though.
We have 2 users in this building that I can think of... One reverses the left and right mouse buttons to accomodate left hand usage, and the other user actually prefers to use the mouse upside down... using her palm to left and right click. (she has used her pc since win 3.1 in this fashion, no use trying to retrain her now...)

That's funny about the upside down mouse.

It would definitely be easier for me if the user could get used to the usual mouse configuration, its not like it hasn't been set up like this the entire time. But, that's why we're around (help desk tech, etc)!!!!

I'm definitely pushing for the wireless mouse. Two mouse cables wrapping around each other will cause more problems then it is worth

Make sure that in your target application the mice can't be stolen. It's easier with a wireless.

That's true, its a lot easier to walk off with one of those things.

Thanks for the tip.

I have a wireless mouse and change the button config when I use it left handed, you can always make a shortcut to the mouse config in the control pannel on the desktop for those less expensive mice that don't have their own special software. It works well at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back