Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Mice, can I use both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slack3r

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
I have two usb mice. One is a Intellieye Microsoft Internet Explorer Mouse and the other is a Razor Boomslang 2000

There are certain times I like to use the Razor Boomslang and there are other times I like to use the Microsoft mouse, but from what I know I have to shutdown and physically remove one and plug the other one in.

Is there any way I can leave both mice plugged in but only use 1 at a time and specify which I want to use??

Thx for any help

Have you tried just pulling one out and plugging the other in. USB was designed with hot swapping in mind and it will do no harm, I am not sure though whether or not Windows would get confused. Try it and see. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I think it depends on the operating system you're using. I believe both NT4 and Win2K will actually support two mice plugged in at the same time, AND both can be used together, though not tried it myself... (USB mice only with Win2K).

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I've done it with 1 or 2 machines in the past. Loaded both drivers, and grabbed the mouse I wanted to use. But those experiences were with serial mice.
With more sophisticated drivers and USB it might be a problem, but give it a try and see what happens. You might need to put one on each USB channel if you have 2. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If both are using the USB ports, then you shouldn't have to shutdown and reboot to switch back and forth (then again it may depend on the OS). I haven't had a problem hot-swapping mice in Win2K.

If you're using the PS/2 connection on the mobo, then it's a different story...

Ok, I have tried plugging them both in, and win2k wont boot up it gets stuck. I will try hot swapping.....and are you sure that if i hot swap them it will be ok??

Should work since it's USB, but since they use different drivers, Edfair may have a valid point.

Shouldn't hurt to try!!

Well, other than the one time when Billy G. was demoing USB in front of 15,000 adoring fans, hot swapping seems to be painfree. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The only thing I would add to this is the "stop" the mouse you are about to remove before yuo actually remove it. I have found that without stopping the device first, the drivers sometimes get corrupted....Just my two cents. Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

To "stop" it??? what to you mean stop it? disable it??

When you have a USB device attached to a Windows 2000 box, Windows 2000 displays a small icon in the system tray that has a large (for an icon) green arrow on it. This lists all the Windows 2000 USB devices attached. If you click on this, it brings up a box, by which you can "stop" the device. It basically turns the device drivers off, thereby when you unplug it, the drivers do not continue looking for it because they are already stopped. I believe this was new in 2000 (I am sure it did not exist in 98). I have a USB Mp3 Player, Palm Device, Mouse and HDD attached to my Windows 2000 Machine. If I disconnect the MP3 Player or the HDD prior to "stopping" the device through the icon, I have to replace the .dll files associated with this device before I plug it back in or I get a device driver not able to load error because the device driver died without a proper close when I pulled the device out while the driver was still talking to the device. Just my experiences..... Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

Um....I am running Windows 2000 Proffestional, and I have no CLUE what you are talking about.

I am using a USB mouse and these are the icons in my system tray that I see:

Sound
Anti-virus
Firewall
Audigy gamer icon deally (it has something to do with burning)
Dial up connectoin (i have dial up :( )
MSN messenger
AIM

thats it, not more no less.

Am I just confused?

Slack3r,

I think you only see the icon in the systray when you are using a USB device other than a mouse. Now if you had two connected at the same time, you might see the icon, but I've never tried it! I've seen it for other devices like external cd-rw drives or digital cameras.

~cdogg

AAAH! I got it, thx for the clarification.

I would just like to add one thing to all this good advice that as far as I can see has not been mentioned and that is . you could get a hub for your usb devices then you wouldnt have to unplug anything. They can take 4 devices I have a Belkin which I bought for £25.00.:)
Hope this helps.
Learn something new every day

I am running win 98se and I have a intellimouse explorer I run plugged into a usb port and I have a old compaq wheel button mouse in my serial port and I have no problem at all.

I dont have a serial port mouse.....

And about the hub, I am a very serious gamer so DPI and such are very important. With my Razor Boomslang I get 2000 DPI, would the hub slow it down any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back