Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Launchers running on same port

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminemerc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2004
US
Hi Guys,
we ran into some unique problem recently. We have prod eventserver running on AIX. The server got hung for some reason and we used the management console to restart the server. After we restarted, all the processed started running twice that is the data was picked up twice, delivered twice and processed twice. and surprisingly we found 2 launchers on same server, one of it was listinf all the systems associated with it and other only showed that the launcher was running. When we killed both the launchers ans restarted again then everything was fine. Here is the question guys, is it possible to have 2 launchers to run on same server or port? Till now I thought NO.
Did anyone else had the same problem??

Should not be possible, shared memory conflicts should have brought the system down quickly. You can have many Event Server / Launchers running on a UNIX box as your resources will allow, as long as the /tmp directory and ports do not conflict. Once tested 100 small systems at the same time.

JuJutsu - Jeff S.
Support Analyst

JuJutsu,

Could you please tell what version of the tool supports that functionality?

Thanks,

Yilmaz

I have managed to do this with 6.5.1 on Windows 2000. I started the event server service on the Windows server, connected to it with Management Console. This showed the service not running so started it from the console and this resulted in 2 event servers running. Te original startup was just slow to action.

There is no "tool" needed on UNIX. Set up a different user for each Event Server. Log in as that user and install (don't install docs, they take up too much room). Set a port range for each user. Do not use the same install temp directory or Event Server directory, create a different one for each user.

Locally we have development, Q/A, maint. Eng. and Support all sharing the same servers, and there are multiple versions and multiple Event Servers running all the time. Each user is assigned a range of ports to use.

As far as two Event Server runnning on Windows, the ports should have been in use and Windows should have prevented the second service from starting.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

BocaBurger,

I meant tool=mercator. I know there is no additional software necessary to run the event server.

Maybe I should have asked my question differently. Here is the new version of my question: Is there any way to run multiple event servers with just one installation, one userid?

Thanks,
Yilmaz

Mercator version is 6.5.2

I know this makes a big difference in terms of the answer.

Thanks,
Yilmaz

On windows you can get 2 event servers to run on the same port by starting the windows service and then starting the service through the management console before the service shows running. This can be done up to 6.7.1. I haven't tried it ad 7.5 or 8.
The resilt is all triggered maps processing twice and one version failing when resources are deleted by the other version.

No supported way to run multiple Event Server with one install. I have seen a few companies try to set up multiple systems using symbolic links. You can use multiple installs with one user ID, if you make sure the .profile and setup scripts are set so that you don't have a common /tmp directory and you don't have any built in conflicts between systems. If you do have a problem, it will need to be reproduced in an isolated environment, so that it can be debugged, either with code sent to you are by Support reproducing the system in house.

Personal opinion: It is better to stay in a simple, supported environment, so that if a problem does occur, you don't have to redesign everything to get a viable test case to get things fixed.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back