Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 laptops and dial-up, how do I wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillJacobus

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
US
Hello, I have 2 laptops and a dial-up internet connection. How do I wirelessly connect them so I can surf the Net on the laptop I like to move around with? If I connect one laptop to the Internet, do I just need a PCMCIA wireless network card in each laptop to make them communicate? Or do I need some kind of access point or router? The only wireless networking gear (access points, routers, network adapters) I see is pretty much aimed at DSL/Cable users. So with just 2 laptops, do I just need 2 wireless network cards to get what I want? Thanks for any help, -Bill

if you can dail-out without useing your PCMCIA card you can use that just like you said and use the windows internet connection sharing feature (ICS). one set-up as the host and the other as client. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Peer to peer between two wireless works fine, I had it set up at bhome. There are two problems.

The host must be on. It's like a print server. Once you have one it just seems a lot more convenient that you're not dependent on another computer to do your printing.

This is no big deal, but when I had my computers hooked up like that, the host went south and I needed the internet and of course there was none in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back