Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 isp's and 2 nics=more bandwith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyagi

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
TZ
I have two different wireless links from two different isp's. What I would like to do is put both together in the same pc and maximize the bandwith/speed of the internet.
1. Is this possible?

2. Can i put both these connections to use by sharing it on a lan?

3. Is there some proxy software out there that allows this to happen?

Why don't you cancel one of them and order more bandwith to the other?

What you want to do takes a lot of time. You need to find some software which can bundle to NIC's with diffenret IP adr. And your NIC's need to be manageable to do this.

//FZ

Thanks for your reply, but time and cost isn't an issue, also I WANT to implement this setup and not cut corners by using only one connection as I need to have a redundancy built in onto one computer as currently I am using two separate pc's for this.

What you need is some sort of loadbalancing. What you could try is install a linux router, I think of an old PC with 3 NIC's, 1 connected to your LAN, 1 to each PC connected to provider. You can now use the QoS functionalities in the linux kernel to loadbalance between the two different routes. Of course the default gateway of you PC's should be set to the linux router.
I know this answer is not very detailed, but it should give you a clue as to where to start looking ...

If you have two NIC that support bonding (Intel, HP and some 3com cards have this included with thier upscale drivers) then you are able to treat both connections as one (they have identical settings this way.) If your broadband modems will allow identical NIC settings then you can use the bonding drivers and have 2x bandwidth, with redundency. If not, then using some server as a router (like gdvissch suggests) is the better way.

Alex

As far as I know, these drivers allow to bond the NIC's in a "Fault tolerant" or "Loadbalancing mode" However this works on layer2 ... only 1 IP address is used (up to 3 MAC addresses depending on the configuration!)
In fault tolerant mode one NIC is inactive until the active one fails. In loadbalancing mode you still have more than one option. On CISCO switches you can for instance use a FEC (fast ether channel)
If you have two ISP's you will have 2 ip addresses and this will not work with these kind of drivers at least the ones I tested.

I think TigerDirect may have a device (or 2) that can do what you want... if you want to take that route that is. Try going to their website at ... I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I just recall seeing it in their catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back