Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 ip's on one interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northtron

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
I'm looking to get a 9000/735 to listen on 2 diff ip's on the lan0 interface. I haven't been able to find any information about whether HP-UX even has support for virtual interfaces. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Eli Katzenmeyer

Hi Eli,

Yep -- you can do this.

HP call this IP Multiplexing and the command to do it is this (from the advanced admin course, I don't have an HPUX system in front of me so do take care)
[tt]
ifconfig lan0:1 155.208.66.18 netmask 255.255.255.0
[/tt]

The IP address and the netmask are examples (I know that you know this but I'd feel bad if I missed it out) and you should substitute the *new* IP address and the correct netmask when you run the command.

Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

Thought I'd post a solution to my problem. I suppose I could have given a little more information in my original post. (like what version of hp-ux i was running) I am running 10.2. A utility called ifalias is required to do multiple ip's on one interface in 10.2. There are a pair of patches from HP that will provide ifalias. It should be quite easy to find the necessary patches.

Eli

At 10.20 you'd use ifalias, the ip's would also have to be on the same net. On hp-ux 11.0 you'd use ifconfig, I beleive the ip's could be different networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back