Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 IP Schemes, Single Network, Unable to Open Files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatfish

MIS
Dec 19, 2007
US
Hi folks,
I have a situation where files will not open as read only, when someone else has the file open.

We have two offices, office #1 has an IP scheme of 10.x.x.x and office #2 has an IP scheme of 172.x.x.x. These two offices are connected over a bonded T1 direct loop. We have file servers for each office, with the respective IP scheme.

The problem is, that when someone in office #1 opens a file off of the server in office #2, nobody in office #2 can open the file, not even as Read Only. The displayed error message is regarding permissions, however permissions on all servers are setup exactly the same.

The above example is the only way I can get this issue to repeat itself. If office #2 has a file open on either server, office #1 has no problem getting a read only version open. If someone in office #1 has a file from the server in office #1 open, office #2 is able to open the file read only.

We run:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent. SP2

If you have ever come across an issue like this before, or even feel this isn't an IP issue as much as perhaps a Microsoft issue, please let me know your thoughts. And if you need additional information, let me know.

Thanks,

Sounds like it---I'm not a Windows guy, though. It doesn't sound like a networking issue---people can still get back and forth, and layer three info is only concerned with routing to the correct destination. You may want to post in the Windows Server forum.

Burt

Thanks Burt, I'll see if they have any thoughts on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back