Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Internet providers on 1 server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2009
US
I have a server in which we are required to use a Verizon PIP backbone to the company, which is a super slow 256k connection. We also have business cable that is much faster, and would like to set 1 of my nics so that my users can take advantage of the faster internet, yet still maintain the company backbone requirement. I am using an HP server with 3 nics. running w2003 sbs. The Verizon connection is straight from their modem, and the cable connection will come through a standard netgear router. How can I achieve the faster speeds for my users while allowing my server to continue to communicate to the company?

The buzzword you want to google is Dual WAN router

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

When you connect the cable to your network give it the IP address of your default GW of your subnet.
At the same time, change the IP address of the Verizon modem to something different and on the server add a persistent route pointing your company traffic at the modem instead of the default GW.

Thanks Jimbo, I have considered using a dual wan router, but rather than load balancing or failover, I want my users to be able to basically surf using cable, and the server report to its parent using the PIP. Can I do this using the dual lan router? The admins on the backbone suggested that we could add a nic and use nat translation to achieve use of both networks, but I have not figured out how. I will download some specs for dual lan routers and see if they fit into my scenario. Any futher communication would be greatly appreciated.

The Dual WAN router I use, the Linksys RV042, allows each 'port' to specify which WAN port to use. If you point Port 80 to your cable and the port you use for the remote host with pointed at the PIP, you may find that workable. I can't host a screenshot here.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

We've got some RV042 and 98 units here too, and for handling dual connections they are quite dapper.

That aside, I'm not sure you'd really want to go down that route; wouldn't it be easier to direct company traffic to the Verizon line using the default gateway? You can then just have the default route point to the new 'Internet' line.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

One more question, since my HP server has nics teamed by default, if I deteam them, does that take the default settings from the Nic that is actually connected away? This server has 3 nics, but at this point only 1 connected

There are multiple configurations when teaming adapters; so it depends on how yours is set up. Make a note of all your settings before you dissolve the team.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back