Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob23

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
US
i installed a two hard disks in my system one is already running a O/S. When i run fdisk i can only see 500 mb of my second hd ,whereas it is 10 gb. And in winnt i use disk manager to create an extended partation and format it , but when i come back to dos i cant access this partation.
can any one help me

Need to Know more info on both drives what size, type,
Nad what OS is running on first drive. [sig]<p> Glenn<br><a href=mailto: glenns@wtco.net> glenns@wtco.net</a><br><a href= Glenn & Jims Bass Fishing Site</a><br> [/sig]

The first one is a fujitsu 3.2 gb and the secone one is a seagate 10 gb ,i have installed winnt ws on the first one and made a 50 mb partation on the second one with dos on it in fdisk i cannot see more than 500mb of the secone hd.
I made partations on the second hd by booting from the first hd and and creating it in winnt, and also copied files while in nt but can't access this partation in dos. only the 50 mb partation.

You are talking two different types of filesystems (FATs). The NT filesystem won't be seen from dos.
Sounds as if you would be better using partition magic and creating two partitions on your first drive, one for dos (could be very small) and one for NT. This would allow the choice on power up which way you wanted to go.
In cmos setup, you could choose LBA as the drive type for D:(which it should allow) and create up to 2 Gb primary partition using DOS fdisk which DOS on C: could access. Then with NT create the second partition on D: which should identify to NT as E:.
And you have to be careful what DOS you are working with. The version that comes with W95B & C , and the one that comes with 98 allows 32 bit FATs which are not recognized by DOSs before W95B.
Hope this isn't too confusing to you.
[sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back