Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 H.Drives,1 Partition? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzer01

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
GB
Hi everybody,
A friend of mine has a 1800xp/512ram/Gforce4/ WinXPpro.
He has 2 Drives installed; The master is 20g 5200rpm, Formatted Fat32,needless to say he is running out of space, and wants to make simple use of the second H'Drive; It is also a 20g 5200rpm,formatted Fat32, without a jot of data on it. Q? How can I make the 2 Drives into one partition, and also appear as just one Drive in Explorer, as anything more complicated than this will fox him, But as my weak area is partitioning can anyone give good sound, and proven advice? By the way I do have Partition Magic 8, but this does not seem to allow the above exercise.
Please help Dudes and Dudettes! ;-)

Wisdom before knowledge!

You would need to use Raid to do this, its called spanning Raid 0 uses, but im pretty sure both drives have to be blank when you set it up. Best way would just use another letter for the drive.

If you have Windows XP, I think you can do this using the Disk Manager in Administrative tools. If you go start -> run, then "compmgmt.msc /s" then click Disk Management.

Someone else would have to give you the details on this, but maybe this points you in the right direction...

Hi guys Thanx for the help
FaiTHLeSS: what do you mean by RAID, The harddrive interface or is it a piece of software?

BooYaKaSha: I'll give that a go, I have never used that function before, but who dares wins!!

Again Thanx...D

Wisdom before knowledge!

RAID is normally hardware - you'd need a RAID controller card.

With normal 'basic disks' in XP you can't do what you want - maybe with dynamic disks (run diskmgmt.msc to go directly to Disk Management) -
Converting disks from basic to dynamic is one way - can't convert them back without data loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back