Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Graphics cards 1 system, Experiances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowley16

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
GB
I'm thinking of getting a cheap PCI (Normal) Graphics card to slot into my system to act as a secondary video output to tv...

However I'm just wondering if there's any issues I should be aware of like conflicts with my main AGP graphics card and any recommendations on a PCI Graphics card would be welcome...

Thanks...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I would suggest that you try to get a PCI graphics card that uses the same chipset to minimise the chances of a driver conflict. Otherwise, it shpuld work fine.

However, you have a very limited choice of PCI graphics cards as they have been out of vogue for some time. A better solution may to upgrade your AGP graphics card to one that has a Video out connection, usually an S-video connector. It will simplify installation and operation.

Regards: tf1

Usually as long as one is agp and the other pci, you shouldn't have any problems. I had problems when I tried using onboard and AGP at the same time, they were both AGP and conflicted as I found out later. As of right now I'm using an agp and pci with no issues.

I don't know of any pci graphics cards off hand, as the one I'm currently using as my TV out is a very old ati rage, but it works like a charm.

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

most recent pci video cards are ati 9250 (256MB DDR) and nVIDIA Quadro NVS280 (64MB DDR). both will set you back about 150-160$.

A better choice would be to get an AGP card with 2 outputs.
You could get an ATI 96000 XT for about the same price as either of the above 2 cards, about 155$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back