Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 GC servers, one down, exchange still not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITtech101

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
GB
hello all,

I've installed a 2nd DC(DC2) and made it a 2nd global catalogue server, exchange sees it in the DSAccess tab, but if I power down the origianl DC(DC1)and fire up outlook on pc it cannot find exchange. The DCs are both running DNS service and DC1 points to itself as primary DNS and to DC2 as secondary DNS, and DC2 points to DC1 as primary and itself as secondary, running netdiag doesn't reveal any problems and there are no errors in event log with regard to DNS\replication on DCs. any help greatly appreciated.

How much time did you wait before bringing down DC1? DC2 may not have had all the Exchange data replicated....

I didn't take a DC down, just added a second DC to domain (fault tolerance), where do your DCs point for DNS?

What he's asking is how long after you brought the 2nd DC into your environment did you wait before turning DC1 off to test Exchange?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

From the client, can you ping the exchange server by name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back