Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Exes appeared on Desktop (0KB) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remou

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
BE
Two exe files dated 1st February have appeared on my desktop. One is called firefox.exe and the other is msaccess.exe, both are 0 KB. I cannot recall doing anything that would have created these files and I do not think I have seen this before. I am on Vista 32 and I am running Avast antivirus and Spybot.

Sounds as if you have a virus or trojan on your machine and the bad guy is attempting to deploy some additional tools onto your system. The good news is that it is likely that there is only a minimally functional piece of malware on your system today, but it also sounds like they are attempting to get better stuff loaded.

You may want to try a different AV software to see if you get different results. Trend Micro provides Housecall ( that you can run for free, or you can download ClamAV from SourceForge ( which is also free. Different scanners may detect something that others do not.

Antivirus software uses simple string matches in most cases to identify malware. Trivial changes to the malware can make it undetectable.

A rebuild may be necessary if you cannot find the source of the malware. Personally, I rarely spend more than 1 hour attempting to find and eradicate a piece of malware. A rebuild is (nearly) guaranteed to fix the problem, so it is a better use of my time. If you choose this route, don't forget to backup any data that you might need.

pansophic

Remou,

In addition to the other suggestions, I'd seriously look at installing a better software firewall. Look at Comodo Internet Security (free or pro), and Tell Emu Online Armor (free or pro), and go with what you prefer. If you have 64 bit OS, then Comodo is the only choice of the 2. In my opinion, there is no better software firewall.

Also, if you don't have a router in place, go buy one - wired or wireless, whatever you want/need. If you ever intend to use wireless, go with a wireless router. You can just disable the wireless until you need it.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Also, if you scan and clean with these apps, that'd be very helpful most likely in eliminating any infections:

1. malwarebytes antimalware
2. Superantispyware
3. Advanced System Care
4. Glary utilities
5. CCleaner

The first 2 are malwayre getters, and the last 3 are general cleanup tools - might help clean up any left-overs from the viruses/malware.

But if it were me, and it got to the extent they were dropping any sort of executables on my desktop, I'd seriously look at wiping with DBAN or Active Killdisk, and starting from scratch... THEN install a good firewall, AV, antispyware/antimalware, etc.. Of course if you do this, back up your important data first.

Also, in the mean time, if you have no need for it, make sure Windows Remote Desktop is turned totally off, so it can't be used.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back