Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 email boxes are not backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

joftak

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2004
US
I have recently installed VBE 9.1 and have worked out most of the bugs. I hvae a problem with two email boxes that are not being backed up. I am getting the error: Access denied to file user name: file path... I have checked the security rights for these boxes and they are exactly the same as the other boxes that are being backed up. I can also dig down through the path to the emails form the two users in VBE with no errors. I am running out of ideas?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have the exact same problem....but with 9.0 w/2k3 exchange patch. All mailboxes except for 3 are being backed up. I am using a domain level admin account and it is a member of the local admin group on our exchange box. WEIRD !!!.....this problem is the number one search on veritas site. I think it is a bug in the software that they haven't fixed yet. I'm going to export those mailboxes to a *.pst ...remove the mailboxes from exchange store...and put them back on. I'll let you know how it turns out....lol

Did the solution of exporting the mailboxes, etc. work for you? I have 5 mailboxes doing the same thing, but only certain messages, plus in the log there is lots of square ASCII hash shown in the message header of the messages that are getting the "access denied" error.

I found that when I excluded those 5 mailboxes, the backups went off without a hitch (except for the OFO exceptions on the media server, but that's another issue).

Thanks!
Aslan111

Aslan111-

One of my users just out of the blue started backing up without errors. The other one is still receiving the same error. I have not tried to export the mailboxes yet.....no time!!!! When I do I will let you know.

joftak,

Thanks for the reply. Please let me know if that helps for you. I may try that with one of my offending mailboxes over the weekend. I'll let you know what turns out from that.

Aslan111

Joftak,

I attempted the fix you recommended:
exporting a mailbox out to a .pst file
removing the mailbox
running the Exchange cleanup agent
recreating the mailbox
importing the .pst file back in to the mailbox

This appeared to work as during the first full backup job after that, that particular mailbox didn't show up again in the errors. The other 4 still did.

I'm going to use this procedure on the other 4 mailboxes and see if the whole thing clears up. I'll let you know how it fares if you're interested.

Aslan111

I have only 1 mailbox not being backed up. Strange thing is that in the System Manager I can see the mailbox, but when defining the backup-job with 8.6, I can't see this mailbox...

So i guess it's a different problem, but maybe someone can help me out here.

Aslan111:

I definately interested in the results. I haven't had the chance to try and remove the remaining mailbox and add back yet. Let me know how it goes.

Joftak

Joftak,

One thing I found is that most of the messages that give the "access denied" error are corrupt in some way. 3 of the 5 mailboxes I attempted to export could not completely export. There was a lot of data missing.

My next step is going to be to identify many of the messages from the XML logs and see if they can be manually moved to a PST file.

As for Grinds, what version of Exchange are you backing up with Veritas 8.6? I know that any 8.x version of Veritas is not compatible with Exchange 2003. We had to upgrade to 9.1 before we could even start backing up Exchange.

Aslan111

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back