Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Domains and Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshin

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
AU
Good morning,

Just to start, I have been lurking here for some time and picked up some great tips and solutions to problems. Thanks!

I am not too sure if this is the right place to ask this so here goes.

At work we have a bit of a weird setup. Users can log onto 2 different Domains depending on what access they require. If a user needs to access the internet or email, they log onto Domain 1. If all they need to use is the in house applications, they log onto Domain 2.

Both Domains are in separate Forests, and Trust relationships are in place.

I can administer Domain 2. Domain 1 is being managed by a Teir 1 support company and I have no administrative access at all. Neither Domains have any security policies in place at all. This is giving me nightmares let me tell you.

The exchange server lives with the support company. We have to go through them for internet and email.

To go our own way for internet and email would have massive political repurcussions (for the company) and cost us lots of money.

There are no restrictions on the users. They can install anything and do anything to the machines. I have already had one engineer "re-install" windows cause the laptop was "playing up". He undid all my work patching and updating only to bring MSBlaster back into the network.

Internet access is easy. But is there a way that users can log onto Domain 2 and still access email AND change their passwords when prompted by Domain 1 so we can enforce some security here?

Cheers.

I take it from the lack of replies that i am stuffed?

Bugger.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back