Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Different IP's on 1 machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimland

Technical User
May 1, 2001
US
I have a class b network. How do I make sure the 2 IP addresses are on different subnets? Right click on Network Neighborhood > Properties > Protocols > TCP/IP Protocols > Properties and then IP Address tab...(done that). I am confused though, I just see one IP, how do I see the other one.

Another quick question: If I have a class "b" starting with a 165.x.x.x then the subnet mask has to be 255.255.0.0 right?

This is what I have for my test network.
165.117.177.24 - NT Workstation, Raptor FW (acting as a router, this one has 2 NICs)
165.117.177.x - NT Workstations, Unix workstation

165.117.176.1 - Unix Workstation (I am trying to test my FW by taking this box through the FW and trying to hit the 165.117.177.x network)

*Am having difficulty setting up the NT Workstation (165.117.177.24) with the 2 NICs. In having 1 NIC see the external and another seeing the internal.

Okay now I'm confused. Why do you have 2 IP or want 2 IP addresses on the same computer unless you are running two networks, and then you could just route through a gateway using one IP address. Unless you have 1 IP address for the lan and another for the internet. If this is true you should have a binded TCP/IP listing for each adapter. Simply create a standard IP address with a subnet, I use 255.255.225.0 on the local lan, and your internet connection should use a Dynamic IP. Explain exactly what the problem is and I might be able to help. John D. Saucier
webmaster@johnnyfilth.com
Certified Technician

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out yesterday after some more trial and error. This is a test network I am running. I am making the NT workstation a router essentially. Configuring three NICs is new to me. I made on for the intranet, 1 for the internet and one for the DMZ. I am trying to test a firewall that I installed on the same workstation. Again, thank you for your help.
I am having another difficulty. I connected the NT Workstation (firewall, router) to the external hub and coming from the outside I connected a UNIX workstation. I can't get get connectivity from the UNIX box to the NT workstation. Can't even ping it. I have a diagram to help see what I'm talking about. I know it sounds confusing. Thanks in advance. Would you like me to email the diagram to you?

Do you have 2 NICs in that computer ?
I'm just guessing that if you install a second NIC you
will be able to assign a second IP.

I have a similiar problem, and during the installation of a 2nd NIC on the workstation it caused several of the other workstations on the internal network to loose their connectivity to the NT Server. How does one install a secondary NIC with a 255.255.0.0 subnet with a NIC on a 255.255.255.0 hitting an as/400 using BOSaNova emulation?
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back