Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 dhcp servers & active directory onsame physical LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsmhe

Technical User
Jul 14, 2004
BE
Hi,

Current situation:
1 Server W2K with AD
All pc's get ip address from W2K DHCP server.
There is 1 router for the connection to a second location and 1 firewall for the inernet connection.

Not all pc's use the AD of the server (bacause they are from a another company within the same global group of companies). This "other" company is installing an new W2K8 server with active directory on the same physical LAN. How can I arrange everything so that all clients get an ip address from "their" server, so they don't have DNS problems for accessing the AD server.

IF it's not clear, just ask and I'll explain a bit more what you need to know.

So basically I need to run 2 DHCP servers from 2 different AD domains on the same LAN.

MCSA/MCSE 2000, MCSA 2003,MCITP Enterprise Support,MCDST

It would be a cold day in hell before I'd let another company onto the same LAN that I was on. But....

look into DHCP classes. You could also create DHCP reservations for your machines, and limit the scope to just those.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks for the info.
Just to inform you, the several companies belong to the same company group and for example they use each other's plotter en they all use the same mail server (domino) which is located on another site...

Separate them at the switch level and then create routing groups on a Layer 3 switch or a router.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

If the other company has to traverse a router to get to your facility then don't worry. DHCP is a Layer 2 protocol and cannot cross a Layer 3 (IP) network without the aid of a helper.

As long as there are no UDP helpers configured on switches or routers the DHCP traffic will stay isolated within their respective segment. Like Davetoo suggested, use VLANs to partition your physical net.

There are no routers between the different companies. Iknow it's a strange situation, but as said before, they all belong to the same comany group and work closely together.
For now I'll try the first suggestion, DHCP Classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back