Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 DC's - first one down no one can logon - why? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, in my test environment I have 2 DC's however if the first one is turned off no one can logon - why? I thought the 2nd one should take over?

The first thing to check is if the first server is also the DNS server, then that is the problem. AD relies on DNS, so if DNS is unavailable then things that require access to AD (such as logging on) can have problems.

But my second DC has DNS on it to and it is everyones alternative DNS....is this no good?

Andy

First Server probably had the PDC emulator FSMO role. Look up seizing FSMO roles from crashed servers on MS site. Need to transfer the roles the first server held to the second server and all should be good.

Z

Can only one DC have the FSMO roles, all I want to achieve is fault tolerance, if one DC goes down the 2nd one takes over - possible?

No it is not possible to have failover for the FSMO roles. There are 5 roles, different DC can have one or more of the roles. But if a DC goes down that hosts a FSMO role, you have to manually seize and move the role to another DC.

HTH,

Z

If i remember correctly the pdc emulator is only important with down level clients like NT4 boxes and password changes for those clients.

Might want to try setting your second server up as a Global Catalog server also. That might be part of it.

We had the same problem. Setting the other one up as a second Global Catalog fixed it.

Yes, you can live without most FSMO roles for a few days at least. The problem is most likely the global catalog.

If you have a native mode domain, a global catalog is a requirement for logon. This is because your authenticating DC must contact a GC to enumerate your group membership and check for universal groups. If the authenticating DC is unable to contact a GC, it cannot verify your group membership, and will deny you access.

Can I put the GC on our other DC for fault tolerance, so we have 2?

S

Go into Active Directory Sites and Services...expand your site, find the DC that you would like to add the GC role to...expand the server and expand the NTDS settings. Right click the NTDS connection and choose properties. There will be a check box for making the server a Global Catalog.

(I don't have a DC in front of me to verify these steps, but I am pretty sure that I am close.) Else, view help on Windows 2000/2003 for Global Catalog.

-I hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back