Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 CPU, 1 Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCCC

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
Hi, I am trying to hook 2 CPU in 1 printer without using a data switch. I connected CPU#1 to USB port and CPU#2 to a parallel port. I can't get both printer to go online and print at the same time. I get communications error.

Please help. Thanks.

You haven't mentioned what kind of printer you are talking about, but I would assume that you cannot use both the USB and parallel ports at the same time. To get both PC's to print to the printer you would either have to share it over a network (either connected to one PC and shared, or by using a print server), or as you said use a printer switch.

Michael

HP Certified Technician

The printer is HP LJ1200. Networking is not my option because there are only 2 computers. I actually have a data switch but it is a USB. Unfortunately the USB Ports of CPU#2 is broke. I tried to find another data switch with USB/Parallel combo but no luck. Anyway, I have to use USB on CPU#1 because serial port is being used.

If anybody finds USB/Parallel combo data switch, can you please tell me the website.

Thanks.

Link the two PC's up together with a network cable. Make sure they both have the same WORKGROUP name and then share the printer. Both PC's should then have access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back