Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 circuits common (one as backup)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepfanman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2015
US
We have two phone circuits for (I believe a PRI) our phone system where I work. Is it common to have an active line that we're paying for just as a backup (or for some other reason)?

I am not very familiar with phone systems, but I started in this position a few months ago and have been tasked to improve the phone functionality - I am one of only three IT technicians on our staff.

I discovered that the 2nd circuit had an ALARM light on, and noticed that it is not connected to anything internally, but I was able to verify with AT&T (our carrier) that we are paying for that circuit... to do nothing?

Our HR department would like to cut off payment to that circuit, since we haven't used it in at least a year - no one else on our staff really knows the history behind that line.

My main question is if it is common to have 2 circuits? Is it easy to enable the second circuit with AT&T if we do end up needing it at some point for backup?

Thanks,
J. J.

For mission-critical communications, a backup is common. Most often it is connected to PBX and is fully operational - allowing either pipe to drop with no downtime. It appears that your second circuit is in alarm and has not functioned for some time. Even if it were configured as a backup, no one appears to know how to connect in case it's needed. I'd disconnect. I would also hire your local phone vendor to give you some advice. In an hour or two, they could likely evaluate and give solid recommendations. It is truly worth it to have a professional's opinion.

Thank you. I am waiting to hear back from our vendor on this.

The simple question to ask is, should you lose your phones for a few days, how much of an impact will it have?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back