Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 beeps and have to press escape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dringer

MIS
Jul 16, 2003
US
I had to take out the bios battery and put it back in to reset the bios settings,as the user forgot his paaword. Ever since on boot up There are 2 beeps, then the dell logo appears as normal, but you have to press on escape to bypass this screen. Has any one any ideas on how to solve this problem??
Regards

What type of BIOS...?.....Award? Pheonix? AMI?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Try hitting the Tab key at bootup to display the normal bios info instead of the dell logo. You may also see why it's beeping.

It is probably beeping because the BIOS sees that something has changed. Try saving instead of hitting escape??

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

That screen usually can be turned off in the bios. Look for "startup screen" or "logo".
Those beeps are the bios telling you something, and it is underneath that screen where your message is.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

In AMI's BIOS....2 beeps means a parity error occured in system memory....Can you get into BIOS setup?....
Press the DEL key during POST for AMI.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

TekTippy:

If you get two beeps on an AMI BIOS, the system won't run at all.. This one does..

Murray

SESaskDFC;
Oh really.???
It doesn't sound like it's running to me....
thanks for the info though.....:>)

BTW; what the heck happened to my Belarc Advisor link I just posted in my last message????....Any reference and the link itself seem to have been "Ripped Out"....I'll try again....

TT4U

Notification:

Doh.....Aba DUH...on my part.....
Man, I must need a break....just to inform y'all....I just realized it was a different thread I used the belarc link in...
Aba Double Duh!!!.....to ME.

[surprise]

TT4U

Notification:

TekTippy:

To quote the original question...

"There are 2 beeps, then the dell logo appears as normal, but you have to press on escape to bypass this screen."

That's running.. a blank screen with nothing working at all is the end result of a 2 beep parity error with AMI BIOS..

Murray

SESask;

I see your point....but when the poster says "bypass this screen".....I ask For What?....bootup to continue???
Maybe so....

I understand the AMI BIOS parity error as you said before, however I "assumed" AMI, cause Pheonix has a 1-3-3-2 beep code stagger system and Award uses a One Long Beep followed by 2 short beeps to indicate a video error......
IBM also uses 2 short beeps to indicate a POST error-error code on display......I'll read up......guess we need to hear back from dringer.....

TT4U

Notification:

Tek:

Ya.. the two beeps may simply be the POST beep one gets when they start up.. only this one gives two..

Murray

SESask;
Why the need to hit ESC then.......unless ofcourse the BootDelay= in msdos.sys, yet no two beeps.
Two beeps from any BIOS indicates some sort of error.

TT4U

Notification:

sometimes it can be as easy as booting up, going into the bios and leave but save while you are leaving, as if you had made changes, even though you are not, just save and exit and that may solve your prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back