Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Back ends 1 Front End - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollox

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
GB
Hi

Is it possible to have 1 front-end linked to 2 back-end databases.

When I created the single front-end and attempted to open the database Access crashes - I have reinstalled Access, update JET etc...

I would create a single Back-end database but one of them is replicated and the other database does not require replication. Both databases are not related and belong to different departments.

Does anyone have the answer?

Cheers

Rollox

The short answer: yes, it is possible to have as many back-ends as you need. I can guarantee that under regular circumstances, it will work, as it has for me so far.

Longer answer: I know nothing of replication, so therein may lie the cause of your error. I'd check into database corruption on all three of your .MDB files and ensure they're not corrupted. If there is no corruption, consider the possibility your table links are hosed, and attempt to rebuild them.

Again, I know nothing of replication, so I can't help you there specifically.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

foolio12

Thanks for the reply. It may be related to replication and I shall follow your links and see if I can resolve the problem.

Cheers

Rollox

Hi Rollox,

I support a frontend database that is linked to 3 backends. The only time I run into a problem or Access seems to hiccup is when one of the backends are corrupted. I have to go to each of the backends until I find the one corrupted. So far, Access is able to "fix" the database and everything goes back online.

So,... with all that said,... as suggested by foolio12, I would check for a corrupt backend.

just throwing my .02 in the pot... :)

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back