Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 56k Modems and 2 phone lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1001

MIS
Nov 13, 1999
US
Does anybody know how to install two modems and two phone lines to get at least a 100k-110k connection? I am running win98 second ed. I was told this was possible but was not given any details on the procedure. Can any help me? thanks

I do not know how to do this but the term I have heard used to describe this sort of thing is &quot;shotgun&quot;. Diamond Multimedia released something<br>
<br>
(<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
(I do not know where they got the 460k throughput number!)<br>
that did this.<br>
<br>
It would take a unique piece of software (or a modem specificly designed for this capability) to do this. I think that in the long run, the cost of the second phone line and the cost of the special modem are not worth it compared to the DSL or cable alternatives which give much more than double the throughput.<br>
<br>
Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I agree with Paul that it would be smarter not to go with the 2 modems. However, I believe DSL would be your best investment, rather than going with cable.<br>
<br>
Best of Luck <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Matt-<br>
<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;After installing your 2nd modem & phone line; simply go into Dial-Up Networking and select the 2nd modem as a (Secondary Connection) in Dial-Up Networking; this should give you something near twice your current modem speed.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Let me check in DUN to see if I can give you any more definate instructions in a minute; had a bomb threat @ the school; so I'll have a couple hours here at home before I decide whether or not to risk going back there after their <i>extremely</i> impotent searching for any device (they don't check <i>any</i> of the places where a bomb would most likely be hidden; just out in the open!).<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Anywise; will see about getting better instructions posted. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

OK; that didn't take too long; go into &quot;Dial-Up Networking&quot; from &quot;My Computer;&quot; Right-Click on your ISP (after clicking [cancel] in the pop-up box for making a new connection); click the &quot;MultiLink&quot; tab @ the top of the &quot;Properties&quot; window, then select the &quot;Use Additional Devices&quot; radio button & &quot;Add...&quot; your other modem. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Done this in W98 SE worked fine as per above instructions Ie Multilink Tab, but can someone tell me if this is possible with NT 4??

NO sure about the NT versions; but it works with Win95 v4.00.950 (SR0) after installing DUN 1.3; I do beleive it's just a DUN issue and thus all Win32 environments should be albe to make use of it. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Oops; sorry....that first word was supposed to be &quot;NOT&quot;; not sure why it came out &quot;NO&quot; :-o <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

This works good with Windows 2000 - Multilink PPP

U.S. Robotics instructions on bonding two 56K modems in Windows 98

56K* modems are fast - the fastest connections you can make on a single analog phone line. But who ever said you're only allowed to use a single analog phone line? If you have Windows 98, two phone lines and two V.90 U.S. Robotics 56K modems, check out this math: double your modems and double your phone lines, and you may get up to double your current modem speed!

Windows 98 natively supports a cool new feature called multi-link bonding. The technology that makes this bonding possible has been around for years, but up to now, has only been widely used to bond ISDN channels. (If you're a speed demon, you know all about the two 64K &quot;B
channels&quot; of ISDN and how they can be bonded to get 128K speeds.) The Windows 98 Dial-up Networking application now supports this bonding process for analog connections as well, so you can easily configure a pair of modems and phone lines to achieve download speeds up to twice as fast as your current modem speed.

To use this capability, you need the two modems and phone lines we mentioned above, and Windows 98. In addition, your Internet service provider (ISP) has to support this functionality. Most ISP servers can handle this on a technical level, but because they are in essence giving you two connections, they may be unwilling to do it (because of capacity limitations), or they may charge extra for it. Call your ISP and make sure they
provide analog bonding service before you set it up on your computer. The checklist below will help you determine if you can take advantage of analog multi-link bonding.

To be sure you can take advantage of this technology, please review the following checklist of requirements:

1.Windows 98 and Windows 98 Dial Up Networking installed
2. Two analog phone lines
3. Two modems - One modem must be a V.90 U.S.Robotics 56K (remeber this article was written by U.S. Robotics. It will probably work with other modems.) and the second modem must be a 33.6 (any brand) or faster modem.We do strongly recommend using two U.S. Robotics 56K
modems, with either V.90 or x2TM technology.
4. ISP that supports analog multi-link bonding. To support speeds faster than 80 kilobytes per second, the ISP must support x2 technology or V.90.

Depending on the slots you have available in your computer, you may want to use two internal modems like this one -
U.S. Robotics 56K V.90 PCI Modem For Windows
or use an internal along with an external like this one -
USR External V.92 56K Data/Fax Modem

Using two externals isn't practical for most people because few computers have two serial ports.

If you have all the above requirements, then you're ready to take advantage of Windows 98 analog multi-link functionality.

Step 1 - Open your Dial Up Networking folder Previous Next

Open your Dial Up Networking folder by clicking
Start—>Accessories—>Communications—>Dial Up Networking.

Step 2 - Make New Connection Previous Next

Double click on Make New Connection. You'll then be prompted to enter a name for the account and select your U.S. Robotics 56K modem. After you've done so, click Next. If you have two U.S. Robotics 56K modems, it doesn't matter which modem you choose as the primary modem.

Step 3 - Area code and telephone number Previous Next

Type in the area code and telephone number of the server modems you're calling at your ISP. Then click Next.

Step 4 - Complete first portion of setup Previous Next

Click Finish to complete the first portion of the setup.

Step 5 - Multilink Bonding Account Previous Next

After the connection is finished and saved, right click on it and scroll down to Properties. Then click once on the Multilink tab.

Step 6 - Edit Extra Device Previous Next

This will prompt you to select a modem. Select the U.S. Robotics 56K modem and click OK. If you have two U.S. Robotics 56K modems, it doesn't matter which modem is configured first.

Step 7 - Configure your secondary modem Previous Next

Click Add again to configure your secondary modem. This will bring up the same dialog box seen in Step 5. To select your secondary modem, click on the Device name pull down list then click on the appropriate modem.

Important Note - DO NOT select the modem you chose in Step 5.

Step 8 - Congratulations! Previous Next

Congratulations! You have successfully configured analog multi-link bonding. - To make an analog multi-link connection, just double click the Dial Up Networking connection you created and click on Connect.

So what happens if you need to use 2 logins and 2 passwords that are diffrent to connect your two modems. Is this still possible?

Be easier to find one of those modems designed for 2 phone lines!! They only took up 1 PCI slot!
I think you have to have special software at the ISP to do &quot;channel bonding&quot;, to get this to work. You have to have 2 ports assigned to you at the ISP. This might make for a higher monthly fee. I think Earthlink was doing this at one time. This technology came out in 1997.

If they charge more, it might be cheaper for a cable modem??
After you pay for 2 phones you might break even going with a cable modem. Cable or DSL if available would be about the same price. However 2 phonelins could both be affected by rain and weather conditions. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Be easier to find one of those modems designed for 2 phone lines!! They only took up 1 PCI slot!
I think you have to have special software at the ISP to do &quot;channel bonding&quot;, to get this to work. You have to have 2 ports assigned to you at the ISP. This might make for a higher monthly fee. I think Earthlink was doing this at one time. This technology came out in 1997.

If they charge more, it might be cheaper for a cable modem??
After you pay for 2 phones you might break even going with a cable modem. Cable or DSL if available would be about the same price. However 2 phonelins could both be affected by rain and weather conditions.

I think DATA BRIDGE makes a Quad Modem. Can't imagine using all 4 phone lines unless they are all business lines. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back