Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2.4 Ghz Versus 900 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevencrabb

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
Can some one please school me on the difference between a 2.4 Ghz and 900 Mhz wireless access point? I have a 900 Mhz DLink WAP and I'm having problems with one of my workstations not receiving a strong enough signal. Can my problem be solved by buying a 2.4 ghz WAP to extend the signal strength?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Keven

I don't believe Dlink makes a 900 MHz access point. Could you provide a link describing it? I would love to find one.

I had better range with 900Mhz than with 2.4 Ghz, just slower speeds 800k vs 11M I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

i would definately go for the 2.4ghz products. more supported and compatible between devices.

difference between 2.4ghz and 900mhz? different bandwidth is all i know. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

i have found that

"a 900mhz signal penetrates objects inherently better than signals in the 2.4ghz or 5ghz range. however the bandwidth delivered will always be less for a fixed wireless system than for 2.4 or 5ghz systems."

BroadBand Wireless, Vol.3 No.7 "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back