Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1Tb each 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardum

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2000
SE
I'm storing around 1Tb of data each 3 months. Anyone have any ideas of a storage solution, either disk based or tape based that is not too expensive?

EMC, HDS, IBM... the right solution depends on the kind of data. are they databases? just archive of files? others? which type?

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

It's archiving of files. These files could be accessed but should be available within 1-2 hours for the client. I'm looking for a solution which isn't that expensive.

For an availability of files between 1 or 2 hours you could use an HSM solution using the correct software (as Legato, Veritas, NetVault, etc) and a tape library. As an example, a SDLT600 Tape can store 300GB native of data (~600GB compressed by specs), LTO2 can store more data.

(HSM = Hierarchical Storage Management)

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

If you are just doing file services, you could go for an older CLARiiON, maybe an LC4700 and stack it on top of a few Dell PV-630s. You could add more PV-630s as you go, and if necessary start a new stack down the road with another CLARiiON. I'm not sure how much 630s are going for these days, but I'd think they'd be rather inexpensive.

If you are being coy when you say:

"I'm looking for a solution which isn't that expensive."

and what you really mean is:

"I need something that is downright cheap with little or no setup and high availability as well as moderate redundancy"

In that case check out:

This is solid enough for essential data and can simply be plugged into your network. Though I would not suggest it for mission/business critical data such as a daily use database.

sMc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back