Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1Safe and Norton Antivirus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gollyg

Technical User
Oct 24, 2000
AU
Hi Greg (a bit presumptuous of me!),

Sorry to hassle you - you seem to be working harder now than when you were employed by onstream! Just a quick question. Basically, every time I run my 1safe backup it backs up far more information than I have changed. If I ran the backup and then ran it again straight after it would still back up over 300MB of data. I have set it to backup only changed files etc.

I am running WinXP Pro and have Norton Antivirus installed. I read somewhere on the Onstream site that there were issues with NAV and the archive bit for files, that made it hard/impossible for 1Safe to keep track of which files changed. There was a fix that involved the archive bit but I can't remember what it was.

Also, is there an issue with logging on as admin and a power user which I think might be causing a file tracking problem - 1safe wants to launch on logon, but if there is another user logged on it creates and error (database sharing). I don't really need 1safe to track the changes I make as admin, so could I change the registry key that starts Isafe running from a local machine to a current user key?

Thx in advance

James

James, the main issue with Norton Antivirus was that it would try to scan the virtual catalog drive, so first of all disable norton scanning the tape drive letter and the catalog letter. as far as changing registry entries, i wouldn't recommend it. In the options menu of echo there should be an option to use the archive bit to decide whether a file is modified or not. you may want to try that. Thanks, Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back