Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1Pixel Frameborder in Firefox3

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrositelover

Programmer
Oct 20, 2004
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to get nonshaded 1pixel frameborders to be resizeable in all major browsers. Opera and Internet Explorer work fine, even Konqueror, but Epiphany (=Firefox3) won't, I guess it's not possible? if so, the only way to ensure readability on small screens would be percentage values in frame size definitions. thanks for any suggestion in advance / all the best J.

here's the code I'm using:

Code:
<FRAMESET COLS="380,*" FRAMESPACING="1" FRAMEBORDER="0" BORDER="1" BORDERCOLOR="white">
<FRAME NAME="left0" ID="left0" SRC="navigation.html">
<FRAME NAME="right0" ID="right0" SRC="content.html">
</FRAMESET>

Demo

I suggest you validate your code using an online validator and try to move as many style declarations in CSS instead of the HTML to begin with. If that doesn't work, then start thinking of alternate ways to accomplish what you want.

As a smart solution, you should re-think using frames. There's nothing frames do, that cannot be done more efficiently.

in fact, there is: having a navigation which doesn't reload each time when an in-site link is followed

the code's by HTML Tidy already, are you sure to have viewed my hp?

Yes, this result shows 13 errors on your frameset page.

Given that the navigation is only text and will get cached, it will reload in less than a second with each link. Is it really worth dealing with frames for something that would take less than a second to load?

well, I kinda had the impression what you wrote first was what too many people reply to this, seems I was wrong/both of us came to wrong conclusions: me fearing flamewars so much, you relying on the in some occasions too strict online W3-check :)

but indeed it's generated code, the modifications given out as errors were intended + not changed by tidy. e.g. the fact the html-endtag is missing goes back to stripping optional tags (hopeless purism). check out the command line and try for yourself if you like to see:

Code:
tidy --wrap 27000 --doctype loose --tidy-mark no --hide-endtags yes --fix-bad-comments no --uppercase-tags yes --uppercase-attributes yes --quiet yes --show-warnings no --write-back yes *.ht*

you're right that most pages are better off based on the nonframe concept; the main reason for me were (1) German internet law gets you at risk being sued if no impressum/contact link on every page which is silly so you put this in one frame page (2) around here, many people don't like to read critical stuff (civil rights engagement or science) anymore, I can even see in my statistics that international users on average stay 2-4x longer than German, they take up ~60% of all visits. if you have 2 layers of content, quite some surfers will not take the work to follow each link, except they feel the ability to preview, some even too lazy to scroll back to the old navigation stage. So it's more like forced, to be true. Personally, I like minimalistic code, and my heart bleeds when pages are slow just because of Javascript forcing to load the frameset. I miss the old times of Opera2

anyways, I feel that Mozilla should respect webdev wishes a little bit more, both Opera + Konqueror seem much friendlier when it comes to frames. colored scrollbars and 1px lines are a must e.g. for dark frame sites not to disturb the eye, users just expect this. personally I like conventional frame borders but due to flash and the small font trends anything that might feel 'old' is just ignored these days

Using CSS to style the frames instead of the deprecated or non-standard HTML attributes might yield better results. I think FF has the ability to style a 1px black border if specified via CSS. The border attribute was always a little strange (even in tables, border="1" did not produce a 1 pixel border) and I have never heard of bordercolor being a real attribute.

In the tidy command line you seem to specify the use of uppercase for tags and attributes, even though this produces non-valid code. I would suggest you force lowercase instead.

hello again :)

searched quite a lot to this regard: most people asking in boards want to get rid of Netscape 1 pixel spacing, but hardly anyone achieve a dragable whereas crappy 1px frameborder ;)

as far as I can see the 1px fakeborder is possible, but then I'd have to define frameborder="0" which means not dragable in any browser (or have different stylesheets due to a browser test). to drag the nonstandard workaround I have right now is a pain in the ass anyways. but still, at least 70% of all visitors can resize due to their needs

I agree that lowercase are more professional, but exactly that's the reason: had to use this so long in joblife I somehow got tired of it, and got addicted to a 1996 retro purism, you know back then editors like HoTMetaL were very dominant, somehow strange feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back