Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1750 loses config 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eurobadger

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have a client with many (150+) 1750 routers, running IOS ver 12.07(T).

There is a recurring issue where the routers lose their config and are reset to factory defaults. It looks just like someone has done a 'write erase' or 'erase startup' on it. Happens to about 2-3 routers a week out of those 150, but only rarely happens to the same one twice.

Apart from someone playing with them remotely, for which the perpetrator would need to know passwords, can anyone think of a reason fo this, or does anyone know of similar ocurrences with this product.

Thanks
EB

What I have seen is this:

Issuing the WR command instead of WR MEM does not necessarily write the config into NVRAM. I have changed a config, issued the WR command, booted the router, and the changes are gone! When I use WR MEM the config is saved every time.

make sure the register is set to 0x2102

Lui3
CCNP,CCDA,A+/Net+
Cisco Wireless Specialization

Guys

Thanks.

Lui3, the conf register is set to 0x2102.

Nettekkie1010, I have not seen that before. Is this related to a particular router/IOS?

EB

No particular code; I've seen it happen on 1600 routers, 6513's with SUP720's, and a 7513. All I can say is, never save a config with WR; use WR MEM or copy run start.

Nettekkie1010

Thanks again.

I had a suspicion that someone has been having an accident along the lines of 'wr era' instead of 'wr mem'. (I guess that is why Cisco brought in the copy commands in 11.0.)

EB

do a show filesystem nvram: and see if it is in nvram as a blank file.

i think the syntax is correct. the idea is to see the contents of nvram. startup config will be in there along with anything else.

Lui3
CCNP,CCDA,A+/Net+
Cisco Wireless Specialization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back