Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16LCB will not initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfcomm2k

MIS
Aug 15, 2016
US
2400IMX with 2.5 stacks. All appears to be OK except one 16LCB card. Card was green, but could not get dialtone from it, and the programmed phones were in MBST.

Flipped up Make Busy switch and pulled card. Reseated it and flipped switch down. Card would not go green. Tried swapping with a known good card, same result.

what pim and slot does the LCB card reside in. I have an IMX as well

Port assigned is 021021. 16LCB cards on either side of it.
The card worked fine for many years, and there have been no changes to the circuit cards (added or removed) for at least a decade.

Check the MBST command and verify the stations were not busied out through the program. Also try removing the cross connects to those stations. Then try the RLST command. It's possible that someone plugged something in to a jack that does not agree with the system, or there is a short in the cabling. You could try removing the AMP cable if that is easier. A reset should be the last resort. Make sure you get a clean back up before resetting.

I have had similiar issues and found that if there is a shorted out port that is fed to it in ports 0 or 8 it seems to shut dowm my card. I cannot explain why?

All stations on card show in busy state, but trying to release them thru MBST does not work.

There are no shorted ports (pulled backplane connector to check).

What slot is it in and what cards are in the slots next to it?
What is assigned in ASDT for those LENs'.
All flashing LEDs means either the card has nothing assigned on it, the devices are busied out, or an adjacent slot is using those LENs.
It could just be a defective card.

Not sure if this will help, but is port 0 programmed or has it been deleted?

Remember, to activate any card the first port must be programmed for the card to be active. Same for when you would add a new station card. What your describing based on lights is how it would look if the card slot was deactvated.

Try running LLEN for 021020 thru 021037 and make sure only stations are programmed on it.

Let me start over by adding more detail.

This card was working. It was green and had all ports programmed for stations.

Then the PBX suffered a meltdown (almost literally). I got called in August when the PBX rectifier assembly got smoked from excessive heat. Upon arrival the thermostat in the room read 112, so I am quite certain the PBX was cooking. I replaced the faulty rectifier module and fired up the PBX. It all came up except a few cards that would not initialize. I checked programming and found all to be OK. I swapped one of the bad cards with a known good one (taken from a slot that was working). The new card now would not initialize. Swapped the cards back to the original slots. Same slot still would not initialize.

I ran CMOD and swapped the TDSW. Now the card initialized OK. So I replaced the PC36 with a known good one taken from an unused cabinet. Ran CMOD again and the card now would not initialize again.

This is where I am now.

I ran CMOD and swapped the TDSW. Now the card initialized OK. Which side worked 0 or 1?
I suggest getting a PC36 that was never in the system and try it. This sounds like you are chasing bad hardware.
Was the CPU swapped on a CMOD?
Has the system been rebooted?
What cards are redundant in the HW module? Were any of them swapped?

Side 1 worked, side 0 did not.

CPU was not swapped in CMOD.

System has not been rebooted. Afraid to do so in case I lose the entire system and it does not come back up.

All cards are redundant, including power.

Last time I spoke to the customer they were unwilling to spend the $$ to purchase any replacement cards on speculation that it might fix the problem. Which is why I posted, in hopes that someone else has experienced the same problem and can definitively say which card(s) are the root cause.

Given that the system cooked at 112 degrees or more for several days I would not be surprised to find numerous bad cards.

Back in the day, new cards for that system cost thousands of dollars. Today, you cannot get them new and they are pennies on eBay. I'd buy some cards and try to extend the life of the system. Replacing a system that size would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. What does you customer say about that?

Customer is in (and has been)the process of deploying Cisco VOIP for past 8 years. But because it is such a large install and tight budget they have been slow about it. Still have at least 130 phones to do yet, plus around 110 fax/modem/analog lines yet to do.

You can reduce the system down to 1 PIM for only 240 phones. You might consider re-arranging phones + trunks to consolidate it. It would leave you with a lot of spares.

I offered that to the customer years ago. When the customer moves a department over to Cisco, we still need to maintain the extension in NEC because at the present time all the trunks still go into the NEC, with two PRI tie lines connecting NEC to Cisco. I told customer that each time I come in to change a department to virtual extensions and forward them all calls to the Cisco extension, that I could work on consolidating. Customer declined, saying they did not wish to pay the extra labor for the consolidation.

Here is another piece of info. Some analog station cards cannot break dial tone. I can call those stations, and they ring, When they answer the call, they can hear me but I cannot hear them.

Sounds like time division. PC36 cards, or a card in the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back