Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1608-I Backlight flashing and no info displayed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTurboFederer

Technical User
May 28, 2010
US
Hi all,

Have you ever seen this scenario,

A bunch of new 1608-I are flashing and there is no info displayed on the LCD.

Thx,

dead phones!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Had numerous 1608/1616-Is that have had the flashing display. However we have usually noticed it after the phone has been in use for a period of time.

Only resolution we have found so far is to swap them out and get them repaired/replaced.

| ACSS SME |

Well, yeah, probably.

Why do I have to keep them for me ??? What for ?

The replied in a timely manner.

Cheers,

The 1608-L (not i!!! but L, it stands for Localized) are bad.
They break down a lot.
When you power it with a local power supply then it is even worse!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

El cheapo is your new middle name :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Copy the FLASH IC from a good one. Edit the MAC Address so the correct one is programmed into the bad chip (try FLASH address 000270080h). Reprogram the faulty FLASH IC. Connect to system and double-check MAC address is correct.

We've had LOTS of failing 1608L and 1616L phones, either flashing backlight with no test or completely dead. The above cures at least 1/2 the faulty ones that have come to us for repair.

Note that the MAC address may be stored in a different location for the 1608L, cannot remember off top of my head. Just do a search with the HEX editor for the last 4 digits of the MAC address (in HEX mode search).

Have fun.

Of course - if in warranty!
I'm doing a 1616L at the moment. There seems to be 2 different manufacturers FLASH IC's used, one of them takes about 45 minutes to program on our (old) ELNEC programmer.
I think it's time to put our hands in our wallet and buy a faster DATAMAN programmer - looks about 10x faster when I read the specs.

Oh, and before you ask - yes i'm a bit of a geek! ;-)

We've had loads of these phone go this way. It seems to be always on 1.300 firmware. Older ones don't break and when we've upgraded sites to 1.300B firmware they don't seem to break either.

There was some PSN's about such things.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

what version are you running on the main box as they are only supported above 5.020

Ive got a ticket open with avaya on this issue just sent them the phones, They suspect a bad batch of 1600 series phones.

@ BigSteve1968

Thanks.

I think that the best solution(if in warranty) is return it.

A great hands-on solution you have found.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back