Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1604 Port Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

4MULA1

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
CA
I have created a test Citrix Server Farm (using 2 separate servers) using Metaframe XPe on Windows 2000. My problem is with the client(V6.20.985) not communicating to the Citrix Farm's published applications via the Internet. The client works if I use custom ICA connections due to the individual servers IP address in the client's configuration being exposed by the firewall listening on port 1494. It appears the new client is using Port 1604 to communicate to the farm. I have used the TCP+HTTP protocol in the client. How would the firewall allow access to the Farm address, should port 1604 be opened to the Farms IP address (and what would the IP address be). We can't open UDP ports to expose the farm to the Internet.

Yes, the clients require UDP port 1604 open on the Firewall to browse for Citrix servers. This is in the NFuse documentation :)

You could use the altaddr utility to give your MF servers public IP addresses to hide behind.

I hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi,

we have a MetFrame XPe on W2k Server SP2 running without nFuse. We don't need an open UDP-Port.
UDP-Broadcasts are not neccessary anymore. ICA-Browsing works over XML and Port 80 doesn't it?

I have read somewhere that this port is used by ICA clients to communicate the ICA browser service. This port is used by Metaframe XP if the broadcast options are enabled in the Metaframe settings tab of the server farm or server. Port 1604 is not used if ICA clinets connect using TCP+HTTP protocol.
I think my problem was that the broadcast option were not enabled on the servers? I think the client was configured properly. Has anyone else tried this? I can not contact anyone at the site where the Metaframe servers are, I will have to wait until next week.

Thanks

Still looking for assistance.

The following error message occurs: Cannot connect to the Citrix Server: Unable to contact the Citrix Server Browser. Either your network is not functional, or you need to configure an address under Server Location, or the configured address is incorrect.
This error happens inside and outside the firewall. I need to use TCP+HTTP due to port 1604. The firewall administrator doesn't want to put another plug in. According to the Citrix Metaframe XP manual using TCP+HTTP should work without opening this port. The firewall is not the issue it is forwarding the requests. I am concentrating my efforts on the inside the firewall solution using the same configurations I would use on the outside.
Client settings:Connection Type = LAN, Pub App = Desktop, Network Protocol = TCP+HTTP Address List = Name or IP address of server plus 1494. Is this configured right? Is there something I need to configure on the Citrix Server Farm?

Thanks

1. The XML service on the MF server is configured for which port?
2. This will be the port you need to open (plus 1494 of course) and point to the MF server. After you do this, TCP+HTTP will work.
Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP
Windows 2000/NT Server - Terminal Services

The XML server is set for the default. Share port 80. How can I tell if the XML service is installed and what port? Is there a way?

Do you typically assign another port? Is there a security disadvantage of sharing port 80?

Thanks

Why would I need to open Port 80 for the XML inside the network.

Thanks

If you want to use TCP + HTTP, this means that the connection will be made through TCP 1494 and the ICA browsing (to see servers, published apps and so on) through HTTP. The name is not that good as you can set the XML service to run on 81 for example and set the client to use 81 for HTTP.
You need to open whatever port you used for the XML service only for the external clients, outside your firewall. Internally they should be able to connect.
Go to the Citrix website, solution forums and look for XML port and you will find where to set the port in the registry. Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP

Thanks for the information Claudio

Internally the clients can connect using a Published Application connected via TCP. Once the protocol is change to TCP+HTTP they get the following: Cannot connect to the Citrix Server: I/O error.
My intention was to fix this problem on the internal network before complicating the problem with a firewall, even though the same problem is occuring outside.
I am guessing it's a configuration problem on the Citrix server rather than the client. I have been using the Citrix forums for this particular error message and it appears other users are having the same problem.
I used the default(Sharing with IIS) 80 as the XML port number.

Thanks

If IIS is running on the same server as the XML service, this is the problem. You cannot have this. Stop IIS or change the port on the XML. Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP

Why don't you set up a CSG and Nfuse server? This way you appease the firewall guy by only needing 443 open. Of course this DOES requires a little more work inside. Al
atc-computing@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back