Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1600 routers with DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cldavis99

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
I've got a 1601 here and I am wondering if there is anyway to get it to work on a dsl line? If so, what else would I need?

Thanks
cld

i believe 1601 doesn't have pppoe support, you can only use 1600 series on full rate ADSL which doesn't require pppoe

good luck
you can also use it with cable internet

Would I just need one of the T1 wics to connect it with?
Thanks

no, a T1 WIC wouldnt work, it is for a T1. You need a dsl card to match your type of DSL service, such as ADSL. Degg
Network Administrator

I've found different cards - but they say they are for the 1700 series. Has anyone had any luck getting the WIC-1ENET to work on 1600 series routers?

Thanks

First of all, you have to be clear what you are trying to do, don't guess at it,
you have to know what type of DSL you are subscribing to, and go from there.

As of now...it is an ADSL line. The telco has been working on installing a line for SDSL. Within the next 12 mos I am planning on have a T1 installed. I'm trying to eliminate purchasing a bunch of equipment that will be replaced at the point of the T1 installation.

As stated above you need to know the specifc type of DSL service that you are subscribing to. The DSL Wic that you are going to purchase needs to be able to communicate with the DSLAM that the telco has. There are different types. I would reccomend that you call cisco, tell them what you need and they will give you the specs on 1. whether or not the 1600 can do it, 2. The different DSLAM types (been a while since I've worked with them). and 3. pricing on it.

I would be interested to hear Cisco's response to this as it comes up routinely on this and other forums. So far as I have been able to make out, all cisco WICs are interchangeable between 1600/1700/2500/and some 2600's.

And you can't use a WIC-1ENET for this...that is strictly for LAN connections.

BTW a cisco WIC is just as expensive as buying a stinking DSL access router from dlink, linksys, etc. Or if you really don't want to stray from the Cisco IOS you could get a 206 (?) access router from Cisco. That way you could use it for now and then have it as just another small router in your quiver. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

All i know is if you are using ADSL with PPPoE then go with 827, if you use straight thru Full Rate ADSL then it is the same way as running cable internet, you will need dual ethernet port, then it works well, 1600 and up router don't have pppoe support

The WIC-1 ADSL card is not supported on the 1600 series router. The minimum router spec is 1700. We use the ADSL cards in 1720's and 1721's using PPPoA with IRB. The 827 will do the same (which we also install).

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back