Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 series H323 phone over a VPN now not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulos2002

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
GB
Hello, I could really do with some help on the following: (This did work for sometime, then the IT firm have changed the two VPN routers and now it doesn't)

I have several IP phones on a remote VPN on the 192.168.105.0/24

My Avaya is local on the 192.168.106.0/24 and has IP phones that work fine.

On the remote side I can ping my Avaya on 192.168.106.123 and on the local side I can ping one of my IP phones which is static on 192.168.105.220

I do not however receive any registration requests to the Avaya other than the local IP phones, I can see this on monitor, also looking at the h323 status I can only see the local IP phones.

Looking at it it should be able to communicate over the VPN just fine and is what the IT firm are saying but I am stumped, here is an IP phones config for this set up:

Phone IP - 192.168.105.220
Call Serv - 192.168.106.123
Router - 192.168.105.254
Mask - 255.255.255.0
File Sv - 192.168.106.123

This is an issue for the IT firm to resolve.

It was working before, it is no working now therefore the VPN is not correctly routing the traffic.
(if we had a pound for every time an IT company has nothing has changed & nothing was blocked when it clearly had we would all be rich)
Have they changed IP ranges at all?

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thank you, no the IP ranges are still the same, what are the default ports for H323 is it 1719 - 1720 for the registration? Just for clarity, thank you

correct
but the VPN also needs to pass UDP as well as TCP packets.

the best bet is to give the IT dept a copy of Avaya's document listing all ports used which is available on the Knowledge base.
for a VPN they should not be blocking ANY ports (UDP or TCP) but some IT depts get over zealous regarding security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back