Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 colors only???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEACHERLESS

Technical User
Aug 6, 2000
US
16 colors??<br>ok, I admit, a junior tech needs help. I got 2 computer same source. both have same problem.both towers, both 133mzh,both win-95,both 24/32megs.both 16 colors and thats my problem. One is a cx6x86-166p,w/win95. I remove display adaptor @ device Man, and ask it to detect hardware and it always finds the standard,vga, adaptor and I am back to the same place. It's video is on the MB, and I look and it plug in red to 1. so I installed a trident card and bingo same thing. Somebody Help.<br><br>2nd machine, a HP, Pravilion, and it too only has a standard vga, adtor, and it too is plug into MB, and it is a P133. so can somebody explain where I am going wrong?

Ah! The cx6x86-166p was sold as the &quot;Pentium Killer&quot; and it really was. I still have one and it out-performs my Pentiums and K62's, hand over fist. Feeling a little nostalgic right now.<br><br>But it was built with a wacky instruction set and it just doesn't care for some hardware. I had to swap several display adapters to find one that worked well. You might have to try the same solution. Whatever you do, never let that sweet machine out of your sight. It's a gold nugget in a pile of coal.<br><br>Regarding the HP, the solution might be as simple as tweaking the display settings in Windows.<br><br>Good luck. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Well, your reply makes me feel secure all ready, I am really falling for the site.<br>Thanks on the words of encouragement on the cx6x86-p166. I was starting to think otherwise.<br>on the hp. pavilion, <br>I tried removing the display adaptor @ device Manager, and asked w-98 to detect new Hardware...it only found the same adaptor. I tried looking, cheching, the cable @ the MB. all it says is VGA, and red is to one. I even tried to add the Super vga adaptor and it accepts it but without when I come out of the reboot...I believe it told me the display adaptor was set incorrect....or when I went to setting it only gave me the MONCHOME or 16 COLORS, as my only 2 choices. Is it possible, that the person who had this machine before did not load the proper drivers from the Manufactors BIOS loadup disk,<br>or am i missing a step? and Why would both machines purchased from the same street vendor at a fireside sale, have the identical problems, I have seen this before and just went in to DEV.MGR. and removed the display adap

It might be a good idea to retrieve updated drivers from HP's website. Otherwise, I think it is a pretty good practice to &quot;disable&quot; devices rather than &quot;remove&quot; them before rebooting. Windows seems to find a distinction and it has better luck finding new hardware after it has been &quot;disabled&quot;.<br><br>Good luck! <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Wouldn't argue with Alt255 but I would suggest that you take anything in video back to bare minimum (640x480x16) before you remove it. This in case you get any partial installs while you are flogging yourself.<br>The pavilion has drivers on the rebuild cd. but if I remember correctly you have to search for it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Let it set up as VGA 16, then change drivers. It doesn't want to install correctly on an initial load.<br>ed <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

As above have stated, it is the display drivers.<br><br>find which card or chipset you have, load the drivers from the rebuild disk, should be OK.<br><br>Happens alot with built in display adapters, so just set to plain vga, disable, then reenter and ask win to find it if it doesnt by itself, then tell it to use the drivers you have on disk.

Finding a &quot;Standard VGA Driver&quot; is normal.&nbsp;&nbsp;It happens even with many modern cards when windows doesn't recognise the card.&nbsp;&nbsp;Get the new drivers and install them.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have problems with the display, you can always boot into safe mode to correct the driver problem.<br><br>Jeremy Hannon<br>Brainbench MVP for Computer Technicans<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

You might also want to check for ghost drivers of the correct vga adapter.&nbsp;&nbsp;Ghost drivers are when Win98 does not show the device in the device manager in normal mode but you boot into safe mode and the device manager shows the device there.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you check the device manager in safe mode and the correct vga adapter is there then remove it there and reboot and Win98 should reinstall it correctly.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it does not then the only other resolution is to get the correct drivers from HP's website and if that doesn't fix the problem the card is probably malfunctioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back