Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1408 distorted on 7.0.31 analog lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidypants

Technical User
Feb 8, 2010
GB
Hi all,

I am getting distortion on the 1408 handsets on 7.0.31 on analog lines, the louder you speak the worse it gets.

I downgraded a SD card from rel 8 to rel 7, not sure if this would of had an affect?

I have tried different line cards and handsets but with no avail even a new IPO, but this was with another downgraded SD Card.

Played around with the gains on the analog options, still with no joy.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I have played with the gains to fix this. Start with -.5 for each and go up from there. I had on eclient that needed -4 to work well. If it's the same issue, they were getting what I call static bursts anytime they started talking. Any yes, the louder the talker, the louder the static becomes.

Ok thanks, was there any explanation into why this happened?

Just today I downgraded a customer to 7.027P, the pacthed one and it got rid of this issue. Seems to only be on the 14xx series phones.

I'd have to look tomorrow on Manager on my work computer, 7.027841 or something of the sort?

NM found it on Avaya site. IP Office R7 Q4 2011 Maintenance Release Patch - 7.0(278401)
Oh and I found the same problem on a 9508 phone today and downgrading it also resolved the issue.

FYI, R7.0.32 is out and has a fix for the gain issue that causes many of these issues.

I too have the same issue of static and echo bursts but on 1616 and 1608 sets at one of the sites. I too have gone through the painful process of changing
1. Combo cards ( the main board should be at firmware PCS 7 and the d/b should be at pcs 10) :
REF: PCN Number: 1786B.
2. Changed the main unit (IP500 V2).
3. Added a digital set to test and the issue of static still exists which indicates it is not solely issue with the VOIP...data switch or the VCM .....
3. Upgraded to 7.0.32.

I have issues of echo on the sets too so I have adjusted the echo cancellation to 32ms.

But I have not tried adjusting the gains. Will try that if the issues continues.

I am having a very similar issue, but I am already running 7.0.32. I have also downgraded from 8 to 7. The problem is not on the lines, it's clear when I check at the dmarc with a test set. I have tried playing with the gains, and haven't seen any change. I'm getting the same issue, when you talk louder it gets worse.

I had the same problem..tried adjusting the gains but they would,comemback,different thenmwhat imsaved them as every time. The problem was trying to use an 8.0 manager on a 7.0 chassis. I downgraded the manager to 7.032 and lowered the gains and it worked. I also confirmed this information from my distributors tech support.

Goin Grey

I just wanted to revive this thread as we are now at 8.1. I have an 8.0.18 Parter Mode (Intuity VM Mode which is another story we need not discuss here!) site over the 90 period and they are vary unhappy with the sound quality of the 1408 phones. Like all have said in one way or another, in my case, the customer turns up the volume so they can hear the caller, then the echo back and distortion of their own voice really hits them. What is the latest recommendation for this? Should I try a different 8.0.xx or go down to a specific 7.0.xx? I realize if I go to 7.0.xx I have to change VM mode, but if there is a stable 7..0.xx and not as stable of an 8.0.xx, it would be worth the retraing.

Also, should I be playing with gain settings in the trunk tab? If so which?

To date I have only played with phone settings in the menu.

Thanks

The latest R8.0.44 addresses the issues with the gains. The issue prior was if you changed the gains and you were using a later release of Manager than the unit was, the gains would get messed up upon the save. With release 8.0.44, you can successfully change the gains and it does help with the echo issue. You may have to play around with the settings a bit to figure out which is best for your client. I have most using -.5, but have used as much as -4 with another client who had 1408's and Partner mode.

Impedence matching on analog lines is also fixed with this release. I would also run that to match the lines.

so does the 8.1 Manager bork this all up again, and we should use 8.0.44 Manager? Is the 8.1 Partner mode firmware borked up with the gains? Anyone know?

On my system I was able to upgrade from 7.0.32 to 7.0.36, and the distortion issues were fixed. If you're running 7, I would try that.

You can download that version of manager from:
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/SoftwarePub/7_0GA_Builds/ADMIN/ADMIN7_0_36.exe

You can download the bin files at:
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/SoftwarePub/7_0GA_Builds/ADMIN/BINS7_0_36.exe

I turned the gain down to -6.5 and it is finally gone. For now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back