Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

14 wonderful words with no English equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA

Have you ever tartled?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Coo - doesn't include sgriob (or even Torschlusspanik) ...

And the reverse please, what is the equivalent (in any language) of moreish - when someone cooks something so delicious that you want another, and another or even more helpings?

When about 14+ years old, we used to enjoy the company of 'tartlets' to the extent of following them around, with my compadres - could you describe that as tartled?

A favourite of one of my lecturers in Information Studies was 'Weltanschauung' or 'world-view'.

From German comes Sitzfleisch, which translates literally as sit-flesh, and figuratively as the ability sit for hours doing one thing when you really could be up and about doing a million others.

Well, actually the idiom "having much Sitzfleisch" means being very patient, persistent and steady, to bear something, or - as you also say - to sit something out. It doesn't necessarily mean to only do one thing, it doesn't even need to literally mean sitting at all.

"Sitzfleisch" on it's own can also simply describe the buttocks in a colloquial, yet only slightly uncouth way.

Moreish, hmm, no, the german for that would be, "that tastes like more", which you could say to the cook, to indicate you want more.

Bye, Olaf.

Sitzfleisch" is "Arsed", as in "I couldn't be arsed to post the letter." - I could not be motivated to (get up off my backside to" post the letter. "I arsed about all day." - I did nothing of any consequence, I wasted time. "Half-arsed" - without any effort to do the thing properly.

Nope. Sitzfleisch is not "arsed".
Sitzfleisch means something like endurance, stamina, with the difference that it is not used in the context of physical exercise of any kind but of mental or verbal exercise which requires you to sit through hours of meetings or in study.

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

If flyboytim knows it as arsed, it may also mean Germans and English do use the same term differntly. If it's a synonym to not being bothered it has a totally different meaning than in germany.

Bye, Olaf.

Hi Olaf - you are missing the negative - in "Could not be arsed", Arsed is the antonym to not being bothered, not the synonym.

How about the English word for 'Bon Appetit'? Ok, that's French and two words, but in Polish it is Smacznego - one word. You can say: Have a good meal, but that's many words.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Red necks have a two word saying for 'Bon Appetit' - Dig in!

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

In France you can say "I am very hungry!" with just two letters: G a (j'ai grand appétit) ;)

Bye, Olaf.

So is that why everyone thinks that fat Frenchmen like Lady Gaga?[bigsmile]

I know bad joke. [sadeyes]

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Off Topic, but I think it's at least I know why chinese like Lady Gaga. When they hear the old Queen song Radio Gaga, they sing along: "All we heal is Lady Oh Gaga".

Bye, Olaf.

In my opinion, English and American English in particular lacks a lot of the finesse that many other languages have when it comes to expressiveness and having words to convey meaning. I can think of a couple of examples, one German, one Spanish, but seeing as they are both profane I am not going to mention them here.

Hiraeth - Welsh

Meaning a longing for home that homesickness doesn't quite cover.

For example - I left Wales some years ago and have a home in Yorkshire. If I am homesick, I am homesick for god's wonderful county. If I am feeling "hiraeth" I am yearning for Wales.

It is rare that I feel "hiraeth", but after 25 years I still do on occasion!

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

mox nix, same difference...

Red necks have a two word saying for 'Bon Appetit' - Dig in!
and here I thought it was "hoe-down"...
So is that why everyone thinks that fat Frenchmen like Lady Gaga?
nope, it's because of the meat-dress...
I left Wales some years ago and have a home in Yorkshire.
Poor fella... ;)

PS: take all with a grain of salt...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

@BBB

I had to laugh at your "mox nix" reference from the idiom "macht nichts" or "makes no difference".

The last time I used the term mox nix was in Germany from 19962-1965 when we commonly referred to the automobile turn signals that were "semaphore styled"; a little arm like device flipped out from either the left or right side of the car to indicate turn direction.

The problem was they almost never withdrew after the turn ergo we never knew which way the person was intending to go, thus was born "mox nix sticks".

I hope they've done away with them!!

Sam

I think english might be world language because it's simpler than other languages, but I remember many things you can't really translate 1:1

For example, even if we have about the same similarity of right as the direction and being right and rights as terms of correctness and lay, that's not true about left and being left, and so the Elvis song title "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" is something quite untranslatable.

And here's another blog entry I found while googling, if "untranslatable" is the correct word:

[URL unfurl="true"]http://io9.com/5905257/10-untranslatable-words-and-when-youll-want-to-use-them[/url]

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back