Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12v line to motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US
I have replaced a Shuttle AE22 motherboard (socket 370) with a GA-8IG (socket 478) along with its accompanying CPU and RAM, using the same ATX box and power supply.

When I turn on the machine, the FD and CDROM light up and the CPU fan spins, but that's it. No video/no HD sound/no front panel power lights.

I did some reading in the motherboard manual and noted that it says "If this ATX+ 12V connector is not connected, system cannot boot." But I don't see such a power connector from my power supply to use! Am I crazy? Are these ATX power supplies not interchangeable?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

The newest brand of p4's will require a special power supply. It will have an odd 2pin connector (correct me if im wrong, its either 2 pin or 4 pin) which supplies the 12v.

Pentium 4 systems require a different power supply, either called ATX+ or ATX 12V, which includes the extra 12V connector you are referring to.

Your old power supply is just not P4 compatible.

if not you can use the 4 pin power cord as well
make sure you +5VSB (stand by) is 2 Amp, or else you can burn your mb out

Thanks for your confirmation.

I just bought a 12v p/s and it works just fine.

If I try what "Hungster" suggests, I'll probably fry my new m/b and new cpu and anything else I can fry.

Jon

Glad i can help

a lot of people didn't aware of the +5VSB, it is very important to start up your systems
especially Intel MB for P2 day requires at least .85A to 1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back