Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

128MB memory stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhscott

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
This question is regarding a kingston 128MB memory stick. When rebuilding the computer and deleting all partitions, the memory stick was still plugged in and it was delted by accident. So it now has no file system. When I plug it in, the computer recognizes it, but when trying to open it I get a "Please Insert a Disc into drive X" message. I tried formatting it, but it won't format. How can I get this working again?
Thank you

Have you tried running DiskPart on that drive?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Jim,

Even I tremble when using dispart, and this poor guy believes he has deleted his RAM? Besides, it will not handle removable devices, nor will the native Format utility help.

Two thoughts:

. the issue could well be your USB drivers. XP natively came originally without USB support. Upgrade to at least Service Pack 1, and then review:
. It is very unlikely that you removed the partitions or formatting from the USB pen device. If after sorting USB driver issues you still are having issues, call Kingston, or visit their website. You likely need a special utility of some sort.

bcastner,
Even I tremble when using dispart...
Surely not you ;-).

James P. Cottingham
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

I stated that badly. Forget the word "Even..", but I do tremble using diskpart.

In the back of my mind was that you will never see linney offer a diskpart based solution, and the one time in my memory he came close it was with the addenda something like "if you can understand this MS KB article, I don't, it should work." The article was:
Best,
Bill

BTW, dhscott, Have you tried using the card in another machine? You might be able to recover missing file with .

James P. Cottingham

I have a 256mb Kingston thumb drive, and I have in my possession the formatting program for it. It is on the CD that came with it, but if you can't find it let me know and I can either post it or email it to you. They do not have it available on their website. But you have to check to see about your model. I would think the utility would work on most of them, but just in case...

Mine is the style at the bottom of the page, the KUSBxx model.

Let me know if I can help.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
No it is not a driver issue. Yes I have tried it on multiple machines and get the same results.
I don't care that I lost the data that was on there, I just want to be able to use the device again.
It's like having an unformatted HD in you computer, the OS sees the device but just can't use it.
I did contact Kingston support but haven't heard back yet.

bankboysb - If you have the formatting program that would be great. However you can get it to me would be fantastic, let me know.

Thank you all for your help, it's all set.

I would as a personal favor explain how your resolved the issue for the Forum.

What is all set? Do you still need the formatting utility program from me? [ponder]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back