Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1210 problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSigma

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2004
IL
I have a few 1210 phones that while powering up the display says "Updating file System Wait a few minutes" I waited many minutes but nothing happens. I programmed them by pressing UP+2 before power and through BootC. The response was "Rebooting"... but again nothing happens. I tried them with BCM 3.0 and with CS1K 6.0. I also tried to factory reset them but it is not doing it. Any idea how to help some 17 sets...
Thanks
David

So not used that type of set but an issue we used to get with 11xx was with DCHP on earlier firmware. You could get round it by manualy setting the S1&S2 IP address and port and turn off voice VLAN. This will set them in the DATA VLAN while the upgrade, then default the config. The other one I have had is sets would not update from the TPS and had to use a seperate TFTP server (Plenty of free TFTP server software about) and config the provisioning server in the phones, again can usually defaultthe config once the FW is upgraded.

Thanks bignose21. I tried this procedure but it ends with "Rebooting"... or "Updating file System Wait a few minutes" and it stays in this state forever...
It seems like the flash inside the phone is NG. David.

Only other issue I have had is there were a few 1150 series phones that were shipped with new FW chips but an old version of FW that was not enough to run the chips so sets never booted. For this we needed to get a special serial cable from Avaya and program that allowed us to BootA and load the new FW over the serial cable. This was not the norm, sets should have been returned to Avaya to carry this out, it was just the fact we had 100's of them and a tight deadline on the project that they allowed us to do it.

Interesting. What kind of cable, and how did you programed the 1150?
David

Like I say if that is what is required you would need to get the cable from Avaya, from the document we got with it:

AEM port on the IP Phone 1150E will be used to upgrade the IP Phone 1150E firmware.
The AEM port on the IP Phone 1150E can be accessed using the COM port of a PC.
3 components are essential to access the AEM port of the IP Phone 1150E from a PC.
Custom cable
RS 232 – Male to Female cable
TTL 3.3V – RS232 converter

You then run a program called server1.exe (Get from Avaya) and boot the phone. Like I say if you have this issue then the phones should have a recall against them.

Did you also try using TFTP server on a hub or flat switch rather than a PABX to load FW

Well, my problem is with 1210. No problem with FW although I connected it to TFTP. He read and wrote the FW. After this he wrote "Rebooting"... and remained in this state forever. This I did with BootC invoked by pressing UP+2 before power up. If I connect power without UP+2 it says "Updating file System Wait a few minutes" and it stays in this state forever...As I wrote I have some 15 units with this problem.
Thanks
David

I guess letting them boot npormally they are getting the S1 from the DHCP and heading off to the sig server for the FW. I would just isolate the set on a hub or flat switch just the TFTP and the phone nothing else, use static IP and see if it updates. If not maybe try a different FW file on the TFTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back