Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

120GB HDD Reported as 111GB by WinXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElijahBaley

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2001
GB

Hi

I have partioned and formatted a 120GB Seagate Barricuda HDD using Seagate's DiscWizard utility, however when I view the properties of the drive in Windows Explorer it shows as only 111GB.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks for any help,

EB

Howdy:

One GB is actually equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes NOT 1,000,000,00. So, do the math: 111 x 1073741824 and you will get up to your 120GB harddrive.

Murray

As SESaskDFC says computer sales departments count in 1000's where the rest of us count in 1024's.

Manufacturers are misleading when labeling their hard drives. They are actually using "gibibytes" instead of gigabytes. A gibibyte is a non-Windows term used to describe 1000MB. Windows on the other hand relies on the technicality that bytes use multiples of 1024:

1024bytes in 1KB
1024KB in 1MB
1024MB in 1GB
etc

It of course benefits the manufacturer to state gibibytes instead of actual gigabytes - play on numbers.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Thanks for your comments guy's,

do any manufacturers still sell in pounds, shillings and pence? ie 1GB = 1024MB

EB

Ah, the power of powers of two...

Everything in its right place...

Some of the drive space is used up by the format to create the filesystem as well....

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Manufacturers of Hard Drives often use 1000 instead of 1024 when they descrive what a MB or a GB is. Usually if you read the information from the drive manufacturer they will have a disclaimer that states this.

Also on a drive this large the file system may use quite a bit of storage space for administrative and addressing information that the drive has to store. NTFS has a table in the front, one in the middle and one in the rear of the drive.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back